Bonsai forum

Troubles Growing Indoor Bonsai

• Al014
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Troubles Growing Indoor Bonsai was created by Al014

Posted 5 years 6 months ago #45210
I'm trying to make bonsai my hobby so I'm brand new to this whole endeavor. After a lot of searching, I realize that bonsai trees are meant to be grown outdoors, though there seem to be a few trees that are dedicated to indoor growing. So I suppose my issue is this: it's still recommended to expose indoor trees to the environment, but I'm under a lot of restrictions. I'm attending college and I'm living in the dorms. I have access to large windows but have no way to open them. I would put them outside, but I'm kind of paranoid about people messing with my plant.
Any suggestions relating to indoor growing are welcome. I will continue to research this on my own time as well. Also, I'm ready to deal with trial and error, so difficult options are also welcome. Thanks!
by Al014

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Troubles Growing Indoor Bonsai

Posted 5 years 6 months ago #45211
If you really want to get into bonsai you need to grow them in their natural environment.

No trees evolved to live indoors.
Last Edit:5 years 6 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Auk.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Troubles Growing Indoor Bonsai

Posted 5 years 6 months ago #45221
Assuming you realy want to get into this: COnsider joining a club and finding someone who would like you to work with them, or who would have place for a few trees of yours to live.

Indoors some tree species will survive, but hardly ever thrive. I would recommend ficus (But NOT the IKEA type) bougainville etc.
by leatherback