Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Jack pine needles darkening. Mites? Normal wintering? 5 years 4 months ago #45530

• Cptn_Hwdy
  • Cptn_Hwdy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
My nearly one year old jack pine recently underwent a darkening of its needles. They're not exactly turning brown, but rather becoming glossier, gray-ish green. This change coincided with significantly cooler winter weather, so I'm hoping it's a normal seasonal adaptation. That said, the last time I watered it, I noticed tiny white bugs in it's soil, and that worries me. I am aware pines are outdoor trees. While this one mostly lives indoors, it stays in a room that is only slightly warmer than the outdoor environment. I also use indoor lighting to supplement, and give it time outside when the wind permits. I have also decreased watering with the change in seasons.

Current picture with darker needles and one from 5-6 weeks earlier, before the change. Any, all advice greatly appreciated.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jack pine needles darkening. Mites? Normal wintering? 5 years 4 months ago #45534

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
I see a very unhappy pine, even before.
These extremely long needles are perhaps telling us it needs more sunlight. It's very, very difficult to keep pines indoors, if not impossible.
I do not like the looks of that soil either; it seems too moist and too organic.
In short: pines should be outside, in fast draining soil, and they hate to be overwatered. I think these are the clues.
:-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cptn_Hwdy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: