Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Gifted a Chinese Elm. What do I do?! 5 years 5 months ago #45591

• JoshReynolds
  • JoshReynolds's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi all,

I'm a complete beginner in the world of Bonsai. I was gifted a Chinese Elm in order to compliment my bedroom in my new house. I have tried to read up on how to care for, shape etc, however I just don't know where to begin. Do I let it grow for a few weeks? Do I start thinking about shape when pruning? All I'm doing at the moment is watering when the topsoil is dry and giving it a mix of direct and indirect sunlight.

I don't know if its too early to think about training at this stage, but I'll attach an image of what I hope mine could one day look like.

Thanks all!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by JoshReynolds.

Gifted a Chinese Elm. What do I do?! 5 years 5 months ago #45596

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Hi and welcome.

Keep in mind that trees always do best outside. Indoors really is not a good environment. In a bedroom this plant can survive wintr, assuming it is not heated nor airconditioned. Make sure it gets a number of hours of direct sunlight each day.

Do not do anything but keeeping it alive for winter. In spring, as trees are getting ready for the new season is better to work n yur plant.

Gifted a Chinese Elm. What do I do?! 5 years 5 months ago #45610

• Ricky73
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 50
Hi Josh and welcome.
I certainly agree with Leatherback, chinese elms do much better outside, even though they are sometimes sold as indoor bonsai (in case of temperature below freezing you can wrap it with non-woven fabric - I use it for mine and it works well).
Actually I see yours is very close to a radiator… that's definitely quite bad, as air would be too warm and dry around your tree.

Gifted a Chinese Elm. What do I do?! 5 years 5 months ago #45611

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
We all make the same mistakes when starting, I could not keep a Chinese Elm alive through the winter. So I kept it in the garden where it has done well for years. It is too hot and too dry for most plants in a house, as well as lacking in light.

• Page: