Bonsai forum

Japanese dwarf juniper bonsai looks sick

• dan86
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Japanese dwarf juniper bonsai looks sick was created by dan86

Posted 5 years 5 months ago #45597
Hello,

I am writing to ask for help on determining whether some recent growths in my tree are a disease, and also for advice on how to get my tree healthy again. I got the tree in a bonsai workshop I took on March 2018, and it is important to me. I would really appreciate any information or advice that can help the tree recover its health.

First, I noticed some strange growths between the needles a couple of weeks ago. I read that junipers can suffer from rust fungus, and I am not sure if these are galls from it. Are these growths a disease? If they are, what can I do?

Second, there are several needles that with time have become brown and brittle. It seems as if they are drying out. The lowest branch lost all the needles because of this, and the top branch now has several parts where it is brown. The first time I started noticing this was around May. What should I do to revert this?

I water the plant every 3 or 4 days. The soil drains well. The plant is placed next to a window in my apartment. When I registered for the workshop I did not know that junipers were outdoor bonsais. I kept that window open throughout summer. I do not have a way to have it outdoors. Right now I am keeping all windows closed because of winter weather (I live in Pittsburgh).

I am attaching different photos of the tree that show how it looks today, the growths, and some of the brown needles.

I really hope I can save my tree, so any feedback/advice will be very helpful and appreciated.

Regards,

Daniel
by dan86

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Japanese dwarf juniper bonsai looks sick

Posted 5 years 5 months ago #45598

dan86 wrote: The plant is placed next to a window in my apartment.

Junipers belong outdoors.
by Auk

• dan86
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by dan86 on topic Japanese dwarf juniper bonsai looks sick

Posted 5 years 5 months ago #45601
Unfortunately I do not have the means to keep it outdoors. The last resort would be to give it to someone that has the means for that. However, I would not like to give the plant to someone else if it is infested with fungus. This is why I am also asking about the nature of the growths shown in the pictures.
by dan86

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Japanese dwarf juniper bonsai looks sick

Posted 5 years 5 months ago #45602
Compare your galls with the ones in this picture on this page: uconnladybug.wordpress.com/2010/04/30/gr...wths-on-cedar-trees/

I think it may indeed be rust. There is no known treatment. People sometimes have succes by removing the whol branch, up to the main trunk. In many cases this will ruin the tree; Most people throw away plants with this infection.
by leatherback

• dan86
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by dan86 on topic Japanese dwarf juniper bonsai looks sick

Posted 5 years 5 months ago #45603
Thank you for the link. The shape looks similar but I cannot distinguish the little circles (where the fungus tendrils would come out from) on the growths of my tree. I just inspected it again and noticed brown and smaller growths in the other branches. Two in one branch and one in another branch. I am attaching photos.

Could the growths in my tree be conifers though?
Last Edit:5 years 5 months ago by dan86

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by dan86.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Japanese dwarf juniper bonsai looks sick

Posted 5 years 5 months ago #45632

dan86 wrote: Could the growths in my tree be conifers though?

Conifers? No idea what you mean. Berries maybe? They're not that.

You are right - this plant should not be put anywhere near other plants that are susceptible to this fungus.
So... I'd say it's a lost cause.

(assuming it is rust. Can you pluck it off? Can you squash it and see what's inside?)
Last Edit:5 years 5 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Auk.