Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Bonsai From Nautral Sapling? 5 years 4 months ago #45845

• warren24
  • warren24's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hey guys! Im new to this but I thought it would be pretty cool to try out!

So I found a sapling that was still pretty small outside, I was wondering how I could turn it into a bonsai tree?

I dont know much about what procedures I should do to it, I put it in a pot with good soil and covered the soil with moss from the surrounding area.

The tree itself is pretty large, about 30cm tall and pretty much vertical. I dont know what species it is but its from the woods behind my backyard. I live in Kentucky near the Ohio river for reference.

Its late fall/early winter here, but I took it inside and would like to grow it under my grow lamp. Should I heat up the soil?

idk guys, I really like it and would love to make it into a bonsai if possible!

see photos below:

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bonsai From Nautral Sapling? 5 years 4 months ago #45847

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
I don't think it has a good chance indoors.
And...
Welcome!

Bonsai From Nautral Sapling? 5 years 4 months ago #45850

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

So I found a sapling that was still pretty small outside, I was wondering how I could turn it into a bonsai tree?

Not sure what it is, but in theory, yes, after 5 years of study, 5 years of practice and 25 years of growth.

Bonsai From Nautral Sapling? 5 years 4 months ago #45853

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I cannot tell which speies it is. But, considering you got it locally you should keep it outside. In winter, plants are more or less asleep. So do NOT bring it inside but keep it outside.

There is not much you can do right now. I would do what Auk suggested: Start learning. The process of bonsai has a number of different paths. The one that is initially most rewarding is to start with somewhat larger material. Because although you can grow a bonsai from seed, it is avery long process. Starting with a larger plant will help you to more quickly have something you can enjoy. In the western world, most bonsai are grown by cutting down much larger plants.

• Page: