Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Ficus Benjamina from cuttings? 5 years 4 months ago #45884

• little_elin
  • little_elin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
As someone who studied in the field of molecular genetics, empirically the definition provided by that cite is that "[bonsai are] little trees... Or better yet, plants that look like trees. In itself, the species of the plant is of less importance than the image portrayed", which looks like an ancient large tree. Before classifying my proposed idea as malsai before even grown is just ignorant, I haven't even grown a plant suitable to be shaped as a bonsai and if that means scrapping the spiral design to show off some surface roots, taper the trunk and give it a shallow container, that mimics an old large tree so be it. To my knowledge, F. benjamina is a tree, similar to A. rubrum for example, however rather than stating something a beginner may overlook, you choose to act aberrant manor towards someone trying to learn. A simple to the point reply would have saved minutes of time and to be honest it is absurd that such veteran and vigilant forum users would act so much so that they are indistinguishable from a layperson. May you enjoy you days and take care of many new specimens to come.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ficus Benjamina from cuttings? 5 years 4 months ago #45886

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Maybe you misunderstood the meaning of my post. I gave you the link to give you some footing. It is often hard to het towards the basic concept of bonsai, and how it differs from what is typically sold as one.

As someone who has studied ecology (not sure why that matters to be honest) i believe it is important to start by understanding what we are talking about.

In generfal ficus grows easily from cuttings. Keep them in a.moist environment. Take xuttings when it is warm, or provide bottom heat.

Fusing cuttings can work, but might not give you the nicest of results. I have stopped trying to.

Ficus Benjamina from cuttings? 5 years 4 months ago #45891

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

As someone who studied in the field of molecular genetics...

Awesome. Did you know I can speak French?

the definition provided by that cite is that "[bonsai are] little trees... Or better yet, plants that look like trees. In itself, the species of the plant is of less importance than the image portrayed", which looks like an ancient large tree

Good to see you started studying the subject and now have a better grasp of what bonsai is about..

So far you have learned that a braided houseplant is not a bonsai and that the typical, standard, mass-produced S-shaped plant is not a good example if you want to grow your own bonsai. Very good. Keep up the good work.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Ficus Benjamina from cuttings? 5 years 4 months ago #45931

• Blackwood
  • Thanks received: 5

As well the very specimen I have shared has a spiral/curved ideal shape and on this very site specimens with this shape are shown and referred to as bonsai under the popular trees section.

IMHO, bonsai resembles a full sized trees that was grown to reflect results from natural condition, ie trees growing on mountain, high wind, lightning strike or competition for resources, although bonsai nowadays comes with various forms and styles. There are no trees grow in perfect S shape and that is why there are no great bonsai or even bonsai in exhibition or competition you can see the perfect S form.

I have already prepared some cuttings and stimulated them with hormone, hopefully they take well. As for updates, maybe but unlikely as growing, manipulating and managing (through pruning and wiring), a tree in a small restricted space under 4 feet in high is appearantly not bonsai according to some.

Tree less than 4 feet with good structure is shohin or mame bonsai that it could sit on your palm too.

I would suggest you to grow the cuttings until they rooting well and you satisfied with the trunk thickness. Branches, wiring, styling come later (minimum a couple of years, depends on tree species and other conditions). Water them only when needed and protect from direct sunlight. Pot size shouldn't be too large as this can retain unnecessary water for a very long period. Do the basic gardener task first, when material is there you can switch title to artist.

Hope you are aware that cutting does not guarantee 100% rooting success. Be patient, stay on track and good luck!

Last edit: Post by Blackwood.
  • Page: