Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Repotting and Winter Weather 5 years 3 months ago #45905

• Seffers
  • Seffers's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Hey everyone!
Not too long ago, I made the mistake of buying a small plant and saying something along the lines of "Just got my first bonsai", which turned out to be a little baby juniper plant that was sold as "bonsai". Thanks to this forum, I was immediately corrected and encouraged to do my research, and so I have. However, I can't seem to find an exact answer to a couple questions I have..
Although this little plant is just that.. a plant, I still want to keep it healthy and have a good bonsai after a couple decades. I plan on ordering actual bonsai from reputable sources here soon. But there is still more research to be done.
Anyway, so I mistakenly bought this little guy thinking I could keep it in my apartment. WRONG! I need to get it outside. BUT.. its down to 20F and only getting colder with lots of snow and ice. So question number 1.. do I keep it in front of the window until spring?
Also.. I was told I need to get it out from this "cheap fake Chinese pot" ASAP. And after doing some reading, it sounds like a baby plant like this will only stay a baby plant if it's kept in a small pot like this.
So should I repot sometime soon or just wait until spring? I'm actually buying a house sometime next summer so I'll be able to put it in the ground then if I need to.

Any advice helps!! I'd really like to get this little thing matured after some years. And I'll keep doing my research. I really want to keep pursuing bonsai.
Thanks everyone!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: m5eaygeoff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Seffers.

Repotting and Winter Weather 5 years 3 months ago #45906

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
Looks like I hit the wrong button!! You must keep this Juniper outside. Frost will not hurt it. No will snow. Keeping it too dry might. Cover it with fleece will protect it if it does get cold.The pot it is in is big for the plant, and the stones do nothing for it. I would either put it into a bigger pot for a while, or if you want a small tree shohin size then let it grow as it is to get a bit thicker trunk. It is difficult to tell but it might make a Literati if small, now I will hit the right button
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seffers

Repotting and Winter Weather 5 years 3 months ago #45908

• Seffers
  • Seffers's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Thanks for the reply!!
Now my only concern is the transition from inside to outside. It’s a major temperature drop. I feel like that’ll be a shock for the plant. Should I find a way to ease it into the colder temperature outside or just get it out immediately? I know it needs a dormant period so I’d like to make it happen ASAP.
Thanks!

• Page: