Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

New to Bonsai 5 years 4 months ago #45909

• Zan_Bonsai
  • Zan_Bonsai's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello everyone,

I am new on the forum and I have been interested in starting my bonsai adventures for a little while now. I have been doing a lot of research online, reading, and watching videos. My adventures started with the idea for an indoor plant for my office at work and home. I quickly realized that the lack of water when I was gone from work did not make this feasible (the plant at home made more sense). I have recently almost finalized my decision to start with conifers (Juniper/Pine) to grow outdoors in the Colorado (5A/5B) climate. I feel this is a better option to start in such climate. Nonetheless, I love constant greens of conifers and appreciate the full canopies I have seen.

I will be purchasing my first junipers which are a few years old and at a reasonable price. I will include one Bonsai juniper to see the end and continue the attractive appearance. I will also start my adventures by adding a few pre-bonsai junipers to my purchase; thus, allowing me to use my artistic side, appreciate the process of wiring, potting/creating my own trained juniper, and simply have more junipers to work with.

If any of my plan is not the best idea, I am open to other options.

I wanted to introduce myself and thank you all in advance for allowing me to join your group. I hope to learn a lot from everyone and soak in all the mentor-ship which may be offered to me.

Regards,
Zan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Zan_Bonsai.

New to Bonsai 5 years 4 months ago #45910

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
Welcome to the forum, Zan!
Sounds like a plan, keep us posted.
;)

New to Bonsai 5 years 4 months ago #45911

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Dear Zan,

welcome to the forum.

I think you have a plan. HOwever, just to make sure, I would recommend not purchasing your trees alone. Get someone to come with you, who can help you select the plants with best potential. If you have not styled or owned bonsai before, it is dificult to asses the problems and potential of the trees to work with.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

New to Bonsai 5 years 4 months ago #45914

• Zan_Bonsai

Welcome to the forum, Zan!
Sounds like a plan, keep us posted.
;)

Thank you, sir. I am sure I will come into many beginner issues. But I also know I will learn a lot and have fun.

Dear Zan,

welcome to the forum.

I think you have a plan. HOwever, just to make sure, I would recommend not purchasing your trees alone. Get someone to come with you, who can help you select the plants with best potential. If you have not styled or owned bonsai before, it is dificult to asses the problems and potential of the trees to work with.

I totally understand what you mean, I have been holding off for some time now trying to find a good place to buy from (bonsai or pre-bonsai/nursery stock). I do not have any friends who own bonsai. I was looking into a local chapter which does gatherings to maintain garden trees, and discuss bonsai. Additionally, I was thinking about getting in touch with one of them to have a short lesson, beyond what is readily available on the internet. We have some locations to purchase bonsai in the area which I may try to vet (as much as possible for a beginner).

Last edit: Post by Zan_Bonsai.

New to Bonsai 5 years 4 months ago #45917

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855
Join your local club, you will not only get advice but with luck cheap material

New to Bonsai 5 years 4 months ago #45918

• Zan_Bonsai

Join your local club, you will not only get advice but with luck cheap material

Definitely.

• Page: