Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

New to Bonsai with my first tree 5 years 4 months ago #45937

• Airborne
  • Airborne's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello, I’m new to this forum and new to bonsai. Thank you for having me and I’m looking forward to learning from you all. I’ve started a new passion in learning bonsai since my father passed away recently. I purchased my first tree (evergreen Juniper) today from a private seller who has had it for 20ish years indoor. I know Juniper is best outdoors but this Juniper has been raised indoors all its life (approx 15-20yrs).

I’m looking for general info on how to care for it and what you think of some of the branches turning brown. Should this be an immediate concern? I have it at a south facing window by itself so it gets a decent amount of sun. Ive attached pictures. Thank you :-)

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New to Bonsai with my first tree 5 years 4 months ago #45939

• Fonz
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 46
This tree, like any tree, should be put outside. If it's almost winter just keep it in an unheated shelter, if it's almost summer put it outside now. Trees need weather elements to thrive best.

Oh yeah, and your first bonsai should be a wallmart ficus or chinese elm :woohoo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oscar

New to Bonsai with my first tree 5 years 4 months ago #45940

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855
Quite right, but your first bonsai should be from a bonsai supplier not wallmart who do not sell bonsai

New to Bonsai with my first tree 5 years 4 months ago #45946

• Airborne
  • Airborne's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thanks for the info. I’ve confirmed with the previous owner that the bonsai tree posted above with pictures is approximately 9 years old and has been raised indoors for 9 years. I know this goes against the “outdoor only”.....weird eh.

New to Bonsai with my first tree 5 years 4 months ago #45948

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855
May I suggest that you look at the Juniper guide in the store here, and then you will realise that you will not be able to keep this plant alive and growing well if you keep it inside. It already is not looking too healthy, with dead branches which need to be removed.

• Page: