Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

New to Bonsai and it(probably Zelkova?) is dying. How can I keep it alive? 5 years 4 months ago #45944

• limonkufu
  • limonkufu's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and new to bonsai empire. I have always wanted to get started and my friend gave me a gift as a beginners stone in this realm. But the tree is dying so I need help. Friend said it was a Zelkova but looking at the pictures I don't think it looks like one. It looks more like a Chinese Elm.

I got the tree 1 month ago and its leaves are dried up about two weeks ago. As you can see from the picture there is not a change in color(except from lively green to grayish green) but they are all drooping and if you touch one, it just falls of.

I have been watering it regularly (once in a two day). It is located by the window. Window sees north-east since my apartment doesn't face south I located it so that it sees most sunlight.

It is winter where I live but I kept it inside around 18-25 degree (Celsius).

Also I have two cats and I can only open windows to freshen up the indoor air 2-3 times a week for short amounts of time so fresh air could be a problem too.

So what can I do to keep my little friend alive? How should I attend to it?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New to Bonsai and it(probably Zelkova?) is dying. How can I keep it alive? 5 years 4 months ago #45945

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

This a so called chinese pepper tree. They need lots of light, heat and a very humid air. A normal living room is not really suitable.

There should be a law against selling these planta. Hardly anyone manages to keep these alive. You will need to creat a environment that is warm and has very moist air for it to do well. Thinj, enclosong in an aquarium.
The following user(s) said Thank You: limonkufu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: