Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Weak chinese elm 5 years 3 months ago #45991

• jacobplopo
  • jacobplopo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi everyone, I am 23 and in the UK. I have had my usually vigorous 23 year old Chinese elm for a few years now. Its due a repot next year.
I had it outside all summer but i brought it in during October if i remember correctly. It had vigorous growth which started to dwindle as did my other trees as autumn started to fall. I brought it in and it put out a bit of new growth. I accidentally let it go without water for a day or two a bit dried out, and most of the leaves died. It then put out a bit new growth when i fertilised it, however only some buds opened on one half of the tree.

i realised i have tortured my tree a bit and just want to know what my next move is!!! Also, it hasn't got much leaves so i am not watering it frequently because the soil stays wet. HELP! Will post pics later when i get home

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by jacobplopo.

Weak chinese elm 5 years 3 months ago #45992

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
You should never fertilise a weak tree which this now is. Also it would have been better left outside. Don't water again unless the soil is drying out. You may be lucky and save it but Ask yourself why you want to re pot if it survives, not just because you have not done it for two years. Is the soil draining well? Do you need to change the style? Is the pot full of roots? If the answers are no then don't do it, there is no need. But first I would put it outside under a table or bench and hope/

Weak chinese elm 5 years 3 months ago #45994

• jacobplopo
Lucky? hope????!!! can i still put it outside?? or would the temperature change shock and kill it.

Weak chinese elm 5 years 3 months ago #45995

• jacobplopo
please answer fast. The tree has much sentimental value and i want to do everything i can to save it. p.s. it still has green growth..

tell me like im 5... should it go dormant?

Weak chinese elm 5 years 3 months ago #45997

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
Of course you can put it outside. It is not cold at the moment

• Page: