Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Jade bonsai dropping leaves and smaller branches 5 years 3 months ago #46007

• SophiaWang
  • SophiaWang's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I purchased a jade bonsai (crassula ovata) tree several months ago and since then it has been gradually dropping leaves prematurely. I water it once a fortnight by soaking it in a bucket of room temp rain water for 15 minutes. It lives on my desk which receives bright daylight and sunshine if it's a nice day. Some of the smallest branches are just breaking off now too. The soil is very hard and water just runs off of it so I know it needs re potting in the spring. What else can I do? I want to keep it healthy and stop the leaves from dropping! Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jade bonsai dropping leaves and smaller branches 5 years 3 months ago #46009

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
You are watering too much at one time but not often enough. Dunking is not a good way to water. You should be watering when it is dry not to a schedule.

Jade bonsai dropping leaves and smaller branches 5 years 3 months ago #46011

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Jade is a plant species that lives under semi-desert circumstances. So they need very little water, and can go for weeks without water. It loves sun.

Note that this is not a species suitable to create bonsai. You can only create a silhouette, not the branch structure. I would recommend keeping this just as an ornamental plant, but not try to create a bonsai. It is not worth the effort.

• Page: