Bonsai forum

Germination question

• Raz
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Germination question was created by Raz

Posted 5 years 3 months ago #46088
Hello, I'm new to bonsai and I have a question regarding the germination of seeds. I've planted two types of seeds, 5 seeds each of japanese black pine tree and wisteria. I've followed all of the instructions but after such a long time of planting them there's no activity at all. I planted them at the start of December, I reckon it's because they don't germinate when it's winter even if they're indoors? and if not, should I leave them be for when spring comes and just continue watering them until then?
by Raz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Fonz
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 46

Replied by Fonz on topic Germination question

Posted 5 years 3 months ago #46091
Black pine seeds don't really need a cold stratification period so that's one thing you can remove from your list of possible problems.
Seeds tend to germinate when all the conditions are optimal. I germinated about 200 Japanese Black pine seeds last spring. Sowed them at the end of march, not sure why you want to plant them indoors in december.
Anyway, here's how I did it: shumibonsai.wordpress.com/tag/japanese-b...pine-from-seed-2018/
by Fonz
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, Raz

• Raz
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by Raz on topic Germination question

Posted 5 years 3 months ago #46096
Thank you very much, I appreciate the reply and the work you put in your blog, very interesting read!
by Raz