Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Colombian "carbonero" species...? Not sure what this is! 5 years 2 months ago #46142

• RevAustin
  • RevAustin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hola! I'm in Colombia, and my girlfriend bought me a bonsai for Christmas - she was told it's a 'carbonero' and that it needs water every two days, fertilising once a month and grows white flowers - but other than that I'm unclear what actual species it is. All the stuff I find on Google isn't particularly helpful, as for instance, some videos suggest watering every day.

I watered it on the 26th, left it on a table by a window facing south, and it looked absolutely fine. But then I watered it today (29th) and the leaves started to curl - perhaps I overwatered it? Or for some reason now it's getting too much sun?

In any case, here are some pics - if anyone can help me figure out exactly what it is and how best to care for it, I'd greatly appreciate it!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Colombian "carbonero" species...? Not sure what this is! 5 years 2 months ago #46143

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

I'm unclear what actual species it is

Google "Carbonero tree". You'll find it instantly.

But let's wait for Clicio, he knows the species.

Colombian "carbonero" species...? Not sure what this is! 5 years 2 months ago #46147

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

I'm unclear what actual species it is

Google "Carbonero tree". You'll find it instantly.
But let's wait for Clicio, he knows the species.

I have some calliandras here in Brazil, including the white cultivar. But they are all over Central and South America, with many different leaves and names (such as "carbonero").
Plenty of water, plenty of light, protect it from harsh direct sun, likes some breeze. Don't water the flowers.
Don't move it around, find a good place and leave it there.
Goid luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: RevAustin

• Page: