• Page:

TOPIC:

Re-potted Japanese Maple 5 years 3 months ago #46217

• tom_747
  • tom_747's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi guys

Long time reader first time poster.

I have a Japanese Maple approximately 6-7 years old, purchased when 5 years old and always been in a small pot.

I wanted to get some growth in the tree so moved it into a larger pot (refer photo for image of both pots). I'm concerned that the new larger pot does not have sufficient drainage and therefore the soil is constantly damp. The leaves seem to be 'droopy', unsure if this symptom of a dying tree. Some information:

- I live in Melbourne Australia, we are in the middle of summer
- I re-potted the maple including trimming the roots (approximately half) 4 days ago. Prior to that it was repotted in early spring, approximately 4 months ago
- Soil make up is the same as what it was previously potted in
- Temperatures are hot during the day, location of tree hasn't changes in years and seems to thrive in its current spot
- I have re-watered when top half of pot has dried out, I have noted that bottom section of pot is still wet but assumed given roots are not yet in this section that it isn't an issue

I'm hoping to get some information on is should I be worried and would I do more harm moving it back to a smaller pot now?

Any information greatly appreciated.

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Cheers
Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re-potted Japanese Maple 5 years 3 months ago #46218

• tom_747
  • tom_747's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Sorry attachments didn't work. Trying again.

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by tom_747.

Re-potted Japanese Maple 5 years 3 months ago #46219

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Whatever you do, do not disturb it again.

If you did a repot 4 months ago, repotting now again with trimming roots would not have been my choice.
I realize that people repot maples in summer, I sometimes do too. However, this is on healthy trees. You had a tree that we recovering from the last repot.

As your pictures did not come through, it remains a guess what you exactly have there, plant wise. Normally I would say.. Remove part of the foliage. Keep out of wind and direct sun and just wait. Knowing Melbourne well, I realize you can have very dry hot winds flying there. You could put a transparant bag over it, reducing moisture loss.

If the soil stays moist longer, that can be because you trimmed the roots :)

Just reduce your watering till the plant recovers and starts responding as before.

• Page: