Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

A few quick questions 5 years 3 months ago #46429

• bigbonsaiboffin
  • bigbonsaiboffin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
New to the bonsai world and had a few questions.

1)What are some goo UK species to start off with (also is it too late to plant this winter so they are read to germinate by spring 13-01-2019)?

2)I've followed some instructions after sowing the seeds to put them in a bag for a few weeks in a cool dry place and then put them into the fridge to simulate winter. However a few have already germinated and have sprouts(?). Does this mean I should put them into the fridge or should I take them out and care for them as normal?

Thank you in advance!

P.S. The two images are the sprouting seeds.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A few quick questions 5 years 3 months ago #46432

• m5eaygeoff
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
I sowed some seeds last month and they are outside in the weather. They have not germinated yet, but I don't expect them to. Having said that the best way to start if you are serious would be to go around a few garden centres and look for some cheap trees that you can start with. Juniper, Cotoneaster, Pines etc. Not seeds. I would also suggest that you find a club to join where you will find a lot of help and advice and usually cheap material. Take a look at the show calendar on UK Bonsai Association web site as well. There is a big show on 24th February at Swindon which is well worth going to depending on where you are,
The following user(s) said Thank You: bigbonsaiboffin

A few quick questions 5 years 3 months ago #46434

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
In the UK, oak, larch, field maple, japanese maple, hawthorn are good species.

I woudl hoever to not start those from seed, but rather start with some larger plants. Growing from seed takes a very long time before you can actually do much besides watering. And at that point you still have no experience and do not know what to do. By al means, do also grow from seed but also start some projects by purchasing starter material. Kaizen bonsai in de UK is a good place to get something. Or on one of the shows in the country.

A few quick questions 5 years 3 months ago #46435

• bigbonsaiboffin
  • bigbonsaiboffin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thanks for the info leatherback, you know of any shows up north (manchester leeds area) that are good? Also thinking of getting a Trident Maple maybe to work on pruning, is this a smart move? Also can you buy trimmings from these shows as I've heard they are good for starting out also?

Thanks in advance!

A few quick questions 5 years 3 months ago #46436

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Bonsai Europa in bury, but that is in fall..

In Feb there is a good show in Belgium, but I guess that would be too much for you now?

I would not go for cuttings. Get something a bit older. If you watch ebay you can probably also find some good stuff.

• Page: