Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Re: Why does this forum seem like a ghost town! 12 years 10 months ago #276

• Youri1995
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
I agree, we are all united, even though we come from different countries (like for me, The Netherlands) :)
The topic has been locked.

Re: Why does this forum seem like a ghost town! 12 years 9 months ago #449

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hi everyone! I am new to the website/forum and new to the art of Bonsai. I've been doing a lot of reading on this site over the past two days!!! Will post some photos and questions soon. ;)

Hi Pinkham! Please...I would love to see photos of your works in progress. I'm here to learn. :) Thanks
Leslie

I just started 7 weeping willows this past week. they are relatively easy to propagate. Take cuttings (As thick as you want) and put them in water. Presto in a few weeks you'll see roots. Wait about a month and pot them up. After they are potted keep the pot about 25% submerged in water for a few weeks out of direct sunlight. They need to be repotted a few times a year because the roots grow so fast. Early spring and mid summer is the time, so I have read. Good luck and keep us informed. I'll post pictures of my willows progress if any one is interested.

Re: Why does this forum seem like a ghost town! 12 years 9 months ago #450

• Youri1995
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
Hi Leslie, Welcome to the forum! :)

The forum is getting more active, so please post any questions you have, we are happy to answer!

Hope to see you soon here! ;)

Re: Why does this forum seem like a ghost town! 12 years 9 months ago #456

• BassandBonsai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 0
Let me know if your willows work out; I've been trying to air-layer a branch off of my tree, and the wrappings keep loosening on me! I've also caught insects trying to get inside- if it's easier to just clip and stick in water I'd love to know!

Re: Why does this forum seem like a ghost town! 12 years 9 months ago #458

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
The willows are going crazy. I think it is easier to stick them in water and watch them root.

Re: Why does this forum seem like a ghost town! 12 years 8 months ago #906

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Hi everyone! I am new to the website/forum and new to the art of Bonsai. I've been doing a lot of reading on this site over the past two days!!! Will post some photos and questions soon. ;)

Hi Pinkham! Please...I would love to see photos of your works in progress. I'm here to learn. :) Thanks
Leslie

I just started 7 weeping willows this past week. they are relatively easy to propagate. Take cuttings (As thick as you want) and put them in water. Presto in a few weeks you'll see roots. Wait about a month and pot them up. After they are potted keep the pot about 25% submerged in water for a few weeks out of direct sunlight. They need to be repotted a few times a year because the roots grow so fast. Early spring and mid summer is the time, so I have read. Good luck and keep us informed. I'll post pictures of my willows progress if any one is interested.

Hey Leslie,
I was just reading this old post and thought I'd share a picture of how these turned out :)
This one is my favorite....

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Why does this forum seem like a ghost town! 12 years 8 months ago #907

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hey Lance...congrats! Look at the healthy growth!...this is quite amazing! Did you use rooting hormone on the bottoms of the branch pieces before putting them in water to root? Did all or most of your pieces root? Well done! And thanks so much for sharing another great photo! :cheer:

Leslie

Re: Why does this forum seem like a ghost town! 12 years 8 months ago #909

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
All but a few rooted. I didn't use rooting hormone. All I did was replace the water a few times when it got gross looking. I gave a bunch away because I didn't need or want them all. I had a lot of them. I still have few in water with pretty big roots. They are all pretty tall with no taper so I might put those in pots and give them away.I think I'll end up keeping 4 or 5 :)

Re: Why does this forum seem like a ghost town! 12 years 8 months ago #913

• BassandBonsai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 0
I followed your excellent advice on the willows, and it worked! I chose one relatively small "test subject," and it rooted just fine. After I had potted it and put it out with the other bonsai, I left for camp, and even though it lost all of its original leaves while I was gone, by the time I got back it had brand-new little leaves! I plan on just completing the air-layer, and then cutting more next spring.

Re: Why does this forum seem like a ghost town! 12 years 8 months ago #916

• Oscar
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thanks received: 291
Hi guys!

I should have noted much earlier, but this topic went wayyyy off-topic :)

Please try to post a new topic every time a new question comes to your mind. The reason for this is that topics with proper titles appear much better in Google, meaning people that have a question similar to yours can actually find the answer here.

Thanks a lot!
Oscar