Bonsai forum

new Bonsai

• Carly
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

new Bonsai was created by Carly

Posted 5 years 2 months ago #47102
I received this bonsai today for Valentines Day. The ticket it came with only says 'bonsai' not what type. The company that grows it is Morgan Creek Tropicals. I really want to give this guy a good life, so any help on identifying it would be a good start! Thank you. Sorry the pictures are poorly lit.
by Carly

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic new Bonsai

Posted 5 years 2 months ago #47104
This is a so-called ginseng fig, ficus
by leatherback

• Carly
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by Carly on topic new Bonsai

Posted 5 years 2 months ago #47105
Thanks for your reply! I've since downloaded the ebook from this site on this type of ginseng bonsai. It didn't really tell me anything proprietary that I didn't read on this site already. The information I am looking for pertaining to my plant is considering this is an indoor year around plant, should it give it equal amount of fertilizer year round, or still get less in the winter and more in the summer? It has all its leaves at present so I assume it doesn't know the difference in growing/dormant season.. I have purchased some akadama, bonsai soil & fertilizer online for it. I still want the best for my ugly little bonsai!
by Carly

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic new Bonsai

Posted 5 years 2 months ago #47106
This plant does not lose leaves, if it does there is something wrong. I would not use akadama for this plant and ordinary soil will do, You will be using fertiliser when it is growing and not so much when it is not so you will have to watch the growth. I don;t grow this plant and I am not in your country so it is not possible to be more specific. You need to allow it to settle into it's new environment and get used to watering it bfore doing anything else.
by m5eaygeoff