Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Jap pepper tree (zanthoxylum pipertum) not doing well :( 5 years 2 months ago #47143

• Cjb94
  • Cjb94's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi guys,

I am very very new to bonsai trees but got into for Christmas. I have been following the guidelines of watering and feeding but the leaves started to wilt and fall off. I though it may be that it wasn't getting enough light so placed it on my windowsill which killed the rest of my leaves. It is now completely bald but the tree and branches are still sturdy. I feel it doesn't have enough soil and some of the roots may be exposed. I have reported it but worry I may have killed it by doing this. Any help what so ever would be appreciated. Thank you!!!!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jap pepper tree (zanthoxylum pipertum) not doing well :( 5 years 2 months ago #47144

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
I quick search show that this in a deciduous species. It may be depending on what country you are in that it is hardy and therefore should not be inside. I wonder what guidelines you have been following, if it stated that you water every X days, that is wrong. Only water when needed that is when the surface is almost dry. Right now it will need much less water. Stop any fertiliser, and keep in a sunny position away from any heat source. I can't help any more do a search and you will find information.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cjb94

Jap pepper tree (zanthoxylum pipertum) not doing well :( 5 years 2 months ago #47145

• Cjb94
  • Cjb94's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi it did say to water every three days but I did wait until the top soil was dry before watering. I live in the UK and have read that they don't do well in cold climates. As it's winter here I'm keeping it indoors and making sure its away from draughts. Thank you I will try that.

Jap pepper tree (zanthoxylum pipertum) not doing well :( 5 years 1 month ago #47229

• Teye01
  • Thanks received: 13
That looks kinda dead to me. If you scratch off a bit of the bark, is it green under there or brown? If it is brown, it is very much dead. If it is green, it might be alive or dead, but most likely alive.

Last edit: Post by Teye01.
  • Page: