Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

New to Bonsai - Juniper Gift 5 years 1 month ago #47245

• Herk510
  • Herk510's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello. I am new to the Bonsai world and came across this forum in my research into the hobby. I have been trying to read, watch YouTube videos, and do online research about Bonsai.

I received my first bonsai last week as a gift. It from a nursery here in the SF Bay Area, CA. I was only told to keep it outdoors, no need to repot, and water as needed. So, all I am doing is monitoring it everyday and checking the soil moisture, and watering when dry. I keep it in my backyard. I am not sure if it was freshly made from nursery stock, whether it has ever been wired or trained, but it definitely looks like it has been pruned and cut.

Looking on advice on my next steps to develop this small tree into a bonsai. If anyone could help identifying the exact species of this juniper, that would be nice. Also is there any supplies or things I need to buy in preparation for summer/spring? Should I attempt to wire and shape it, or just leave it alone? Confirm that there is no need to repot in spring, etc. Any resources I should consider buying like online courses, books, clubs to join?

Any advice would be helpful as I am very new to this. Thank you in advance.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Herk510.

New to Bonsai - Juniper Gift 5 years 1 month ago #47248

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
This small plant has a long way to go before it could be considered bonsai. You are right it has never been wired or styled It needs growing for several years, preferably in the ground but a larger pot would do. It needs to be allowed to grow unchecked. There is a Juniper course in the store here,
The following user(s) said Thank You: Herk510

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: