Bonsai forum

Pinus Aristata SeedsLings

• SheffyD33
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Pinus Aristata SeedsLings was created by SheffyD33

Posted 5 years 1 month ago #47723
I received a fantastic box of 4 different seeds with soil and plotting containers.

My Pinus Aristata have started to sprout and are roughly 2.5 inches tall. The pot (more like a lined hemp bag) that they are in is about the size of an average coffee mug. My concern is that the pot is getting overly crowded, and I may need to either trim some of the plants so others can grow larger, or separate them from each other into their own pots. Obviously I am very novice in the art of creating a Bonsai from seeds, but I have cared for a tree for over five years now.

I have attached a few pictures here for reference. Any help will be much appreciated, because I love these little things and am very much so looking forward to caring for them over the next few decades.
This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
This image is hidden for guests.
by SheffyD33

This message has attachments images.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Pinus Aristata SeedsLings

Posted 5 years 1 month ago #47726
Congrats on getting healthy seedlings!

Looking at this I see a few things:

- The pots are crowded, but not overly yet. As long as they get full sun, they will be fine for a bit. I would not repot untill the stems have started to grow woody (turn brown). At that point they can take a lot more than now.
- The pot sits in a larger container with, it seems, high walls. This will obstructu airflow and may result in fungal problems
- The soil used is fully organic. Here you have a risk over overwatering. Certainly pines are sensitive to this. So ensure you let the soil dry in a bit before watering.

You do keep this outside, right?
by leatherback

• SheffyD33
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by SheffyD33 on topic Pinus Aristata SeedsLings

Posted 5 years 1 month ago #47756
Thank you for the response.

- Firstly the plants are inside right now because of the harsh weather we have in Chicago. It is currently about 35 degrees outside, and I think that may be too cold for outdoor growth.
- The container they are in has walls that come up about .5 inches from the pots themselves. But I have a fan going inside to maintain airflow, and havent seen any major signs of mold growth yet.
- With regard to watering I have been maintaining moisture through the use of a very "mist" spray bottle, and pouring water when the soil becomes dry about .5inces down.

3 questions arrise:
- Should I trim some of the seedlings to allow for a few to grow stronger, or will they have enough room for all to get "brown" and "woody" trunks/stems?
- Secondly, should I move the pots outside even if the temperature will be below 65 degrees F for the next month or so?
- Third, should I remove the pots from their container to increase airflow even though the edge isn't much higher than the pots themselves?

Thank you so much for you response I was getting a little stressed about their condition.
by SheffyD33

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Pinus Aristata SeedsLings

Posted 5 years 1 month ago #47760
I think you'll be fine as is.
Next time, I would recommend sowing them outside. Then, when spring arrrives, the seeds wil germinate and you get the shortest stems
by leatherback