Bonsai forum

Chinese Elm leaves are dry and brittle

• MTurner
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Chinese Elm leaves are dry and brittle was created by MTurner

Posted 5 years 1 month ago #47754
Hello I’ve had this Chinese Elm since last summer and it was doing fine until I went on Christmas vacation for 2 1/2 weeks and forgot to instruct the guy checking on our house to water the bonsai. So it went a little over 2 weeks with no water and when I returned the leaves were still green but faded and very brittle to the touch and fell off easily. The tree revived a little after a few days but has since made no improvements despite consistent watering (but not overwatering). It is in a brightly lit location that is consistently in the mid 60’s and is perched on top of the lid of a 50 gallon fish tank, so there is warmth and humidity from the tank. I’ve read that if there is still some green under the bark that the tree is still alive, and if I break off a branch I can still see some green inside. However it is otherwise very brittle and appears dead. I ordered a new larger pot and new soil so I can repot it to see if that helps, but at this point am I wasting time and money on an inevitability dying tree?
This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
by MTurner

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Chinese Elm leaves are dry and brittle

Posted 5 years 1 month ago #47755
This plant is dead.
The "green inside" is a story that is very persistent but untrue.
Sorry.
by leatherback

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.