Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

My first Bonsai Tree? 5 years 3 weeks ago #47805

• tteallx
  • tteallx's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hey guys! I recently got my first Bonsai Tree (a Chinese Elm from a nearly-local Bonsai Studio) and am super excited since I've wanted one for the whole 20 years of my life!

I've added a photo of my little Bonsai (moved from outside for clear lighting) and featuring half a cat in the back.

Now, I am looking for some advice! I keep my Bonsai in the garden when the light hits it the most, and generously water daily. I will be using fertiliser monthly, too. I've also brought myself a beginners guide book to help me along my journey but would love some direct advice on where to begin with pruning/clipping/wiring to create a good balance and interesting shape. I've pick a front (angle taken from in photo) but am a little clueless on where to begin as I want to educate myself the best I can before progressing it's silhouette.

Thank you all in advance!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by tteallx.

My first Bonsai Tree? 5 years 3 weeks ago #47806

• Hansen
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 86
1. Remove the stone.
2. As you say, educate. Watch as many videos on youtube you can, read all the books you can, go to clubs/shows etc.
3. Repot it in better soil in spring.
4. Do not water daily. Let the soil become dry between watering, but not completly dry.
5. Use a balanced fertilizer, as Bio gold or Red Sun.
6. Move it outside in spring.

That are what I would focus on right now, if I was you. Good luck :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tteallx

Last edit: Post by Hansen.

My first Bonsai Tree? 5 years 3 weeks ago #47809

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Hey guys! I recently got my first Bonsai

It's going to take you 20 more years to grow a bonsai out of this mallsai.

If you wanted it for 20 years, you have had 20 years to study. Why start with this thing instead of something decent?

I keep my Bonsai in the garden when the light hits it the most, and generously water daily. I will be using fertiliser monthly, too

What does that mean? That you move it when the light does NOT hit it the most? Do not move plants. They do not like that. If they did, they would have evolved to have legs.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

My first Bonsai Tree? 5 years 3 weeks ago #47810

• tteallx
I will deffo be taking the advice you've given me Hansen, thank you greatly!

Auk I will be nurturing this tree to the best of my abilities for as long as it is alive, 20 years does not phase me at all - I intend to keep it well nurtured and cared for. I also meant moved from outside just to take a photo for this post, sorry if that wasn't made clear enough!

Thanks again, and I'm keen for anymore advice anyone might have still!:)

My first Bonsai Tree? 5 years 3 weeks ago #47819

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
One of the key skills for someone growing bonsai is watering it well. SO focus on understanding how the type of substrate in the pot, the amount of sun & temperature affects water needs, and what happens if your pot dries our, or stays wet overly long.

It will make your life a lot easier to take it out of this container, remove the probably purely organic (black) substrate or clay that it is in now, and place it in something that drains really well. Have a look here: www.growingbonsai.net/characteristics-of-good-bonsai-substrate/

Have it in the garden. For now, put it in a place where it is sheltered during the heat of the day; These small pots can dry out in just a few hours of direct sun when summer hits. Unless you have some idea, the risk of it dying while you are away from home is real.

At first it is a bit daunting maybe. But don't worry. It is a lot easier than you might think. You just need to get a feel for it. (I spend about 15-30 minutes a day, caring for nearly 100 large trees, not counting pruning, wiring, repotting. So it really if not complex / time consuming).
The following user(s) said Thank You: tteallx

My first Bonsai Tree? 5 years 3 weeks ago #47834

• tteallx
Thank you Leatherback for the info, link and advice! It will deffo be taken on board as well as finding a quality Substrate.

Auk, I'm not sure why you've changed your reply (regarding moving my Bonsai for a photo) so that my to you response doesn't make sense? I also make no indication that I will be moving it from place to place. I think in future you should try and read whats been put a little more carefully to avoid misunderstanding.

My first Bonsai Tree? 5 years 3 weeks ago #47837

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Auk, I'm not sure why you've changed your reply

I do that (far too) often when I don't agree with myself, not to make your response make no sense. Only to make my post make more sense, I guess.
In this case I just misread your post and my response was wrong.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

My first Bonsai Tree? 5 years 3 weeks ago #47910

• tteallx
No worries, Auk!

And again, thank you all for your help!

• Page: