Bonsai forum

Hello, new member, new bonsai

• Dorin_D
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Hello, new member, new bonsai was created by Dorin_D

Posted 5 years 1 week ago #48406
Hi everybody,

For a long time the idea of growing a bonsai tree was very appealing to me but never acted on it. Lastly, while shopping for other things, I have found a tree, abandoned somewhere on a bricolage store. It was the only one left, with no tag and no proper care. I got a bit sentimental and bought it.
I have cleaned the dried branches (there were a lot of them), watered it and placed it in a somehow sunny place (SW exposition).
The main problem is that I do not know what species is. I think it could be a sweet plum but I am not sure and would welcome a confirmation. The white dots on the leaves confuse me.
This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Also, some pointers about proper care for it wouldn't hurt. Of course I'll do my research on goggle but the info is sometimes contradictory or unclear.
Thanks and glad to find you,
Dorin
by Dorin_D

This message has an attachment image.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Hello, new member, new bonsai

Posted 5 years 1 week ago #48407
It is a Chinese Elm and must be outside. The soil looks quite poor, so if it is not draining well then it might need to be re potted.
by m5eaygeoff
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dorin_D

• Dorin_D
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Dorin_D on topic Hello, new member, new bonsai

Posted 5 years 1 week ago #48408
Thank you m5eaygeoff for the id.
Chinese ulm was the first guess but seeing as the leaves are not serrated I have excluded the possibility.
The re potting can be done now, in spring? Also, should I wait some time for the tree to get comfortable with the change of place, or I can proceed with re potting (and maybe pruning if required) now?
Thank you
by Dorin_D

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487

Replied by lucR on topic Hello, new member, new bonsai

Posted 5 years 1 week ago #48409
in my opinion that is not a chinese elm..
Could you post a picture of a leaf up close and sharp?

It does look in very poor condition, and the previous poster is right, it will die on the window sill. There is no such thing as an indoor tree...
by lucR

• Dorin_D
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 5 years 1 week ago #48410
Hi,
This is the close up picture with the leaves.

I can move it outside but in this period, in Romania, the night temperature is about 7 degrees Celsius. Is not a bit too low for my tree?

Thanks,
D
Last Edit:5 years 1 week ago by Dorin_D

This message has an attachment image.

Last edit: 5 years 1 week ago by Dorin_D.

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487

Replied by lucR on topic Hello, new member, new bonsai

Posted 5 years 1 week ago #48411
Its a Carmona.
Forget my previous comment about placing it outside, its too cold now.
Difficult to keep alive because its a tropical plant. High temps, high moisture ( of the air, not the soil) is what it needs. In summer you can place it outside if nights are warm enough.
But again: very difficult to keep alive indoors in our climate
by lucR

• Dorin_D
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 5 years 1 week ago #48412
Thank you, lucR. Indeed looks like a Carmoa. (this also settles my questions on the white dots)

I have done a bit of reading on the species and the care required. Ill keep it indoors until summer arrives and I will try to provide it the humidity it needs. I was thinking at putting some water in the tray underneath the pot if the atmosphere gets too dry.

The soil doesn't look too good to me (looks very compact and dark, but of course I have no experience on the matter) and I think that maybe I should change it. Still, I am concerned that the tree looks on full growth (even some new buds) and I don t know if re potting will not be more damaging than leave it like this. Also, if the tree have nice leaves and buds, it would mean that it s ok for now and should leave it like this to settle in my home.

Thanks,
D
by Dorin_D

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Hello, new member, new bonsai

Posted 5 years 1 week ago #48432
Yes Carmona is the species. Did not look like that in the first picture. Not easy to keep. The soil is still poor and re potting can be done anytime as it is not deciduous. needs to be kept warmer.
by m5eaygeoff

• SubjectToChange
  • Thanks received: 8

Replied by SubjectToChange on topic Hello, new member, new bonsai

Posted 5 years 1 week ago #48441

Dorin_D wrote: Thank you, lucR. Indeed looks like a Carmoa. (this also settles my questions on the white dots)

I have done a bit of reading on the species and the care required. Ill keep it indoors until summer arrives and I will try to provide it the humidity it needs. I was thinking at putting some water in the tray underneath the pot if the atmosphere gets too dry.

The soil doesn't look too good to me (looks very compact and dark, but of course I have no experience on the matter) and I think that maybe I should change it. Still, I am concerned that the tree looks on full growth (even some new buds) and I don t know if re potting will not be more damaging than leave it like this. Also, if the tree have nice leaves and buds, it would mean that it s ok for now and should leave it like this to settle in my home.

Thanks,
D

Carmona tends to have buds most the time, I repotted my carmona a few weeks back, my advise, be gentle with the roots, they are not keen on losing to many in the process. It will most likely in the first few weeks get some yellow leaves, this is normal as you wet the soil through. Yellow leaves on carmona is usually one of two things, overwatering or not enough light. They also like to have a warm and steady temp (around 20 C -22C usually ok), try and avoid drafts I made that mistake. Other than that enjoy and welcome.
by SubjectToChange