Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Can I save my bonsai? 5 years 2 days ago #48573

• brycerik
  • brycerik's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I need help. I just got my first bonsai about a little over a month ago and I'm worried that I might lose it if I don't act soon.
  • Many of the tree's (a juniper about 2 or 3 years old) smaller branches have become brittle and will snap off if pressed upon. I've kept the tree in my dorm room for the past month (I know now that junipers are supposed to be outside trees, I only just found that out while looking up how to help it).
  • I was gone for about 5 days last week and left it in the care of a friend who has more experience with bonsai than me. He messaged me the last day I was gone and said that the tree didn't seem to be doing very well and when I got back it was in the state it is in now.
  • I try to water only when the soil becomes dry, though I worry that I may not have watered it enough
I've spent the last week trying to find a way to help it become healthy again, but I'm still new to this so I don't really know what works.
Any thoughts on what might be wrong with my tree, and is there any way I can still save it from dying at this point?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can I save my bonsai? 5 years 2 days ago #48574

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
Oops. Double post.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Can I save my bonsai? 5 years 2 days ago #48575

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
Please post picture

Without picture I wil predict:

Your juniper is dead. Brittle branches that break off confirm that. Junipers do not belong indoors, let along dorm rooms. They must be outdoors.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Can I save my bonsai? 5 years 2 days ago #48576

• brycerik
  • brycerik's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I took these just now.
If you need a up-close photo of part of the tree please let me know.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by brycerik.

Can I save my bonsai? 5 years 2 days ago #48582

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
It is a little hard to tell from there pictures. THe major part of the branches is dead, but a few branches eems brighter green indicating a level of moisture stil in them.

First off, move it outside. Give if dappled share for a few weeks. Then gradulally move it to full sun. Water frequently, but always let the soil get a little dry on top before watering. THen it is a matter of waiting to see whether it pulls through. Do NOT fertilize etc. Just move outside and water.
The following user(s) said Thank You: brycerik

• Page: