Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Re-Locating a Dawn Redwood 5 years 2 days ago #48617

• skovich
  • skovich's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I am new to the bonsai world and last year (September) ordered a Dawn Redwood (5 tree grouping) to get my feet wet (1st picture). When ordered I lived in San Diego, and although it took until January for the leaves to fall, the trees seemed to do very well. I did my first pruning in February (once I saw the buds starting to break open) and the growth took off.

Last week I moved to Hailey Idaho and I have some concerns I am hoping someone can help with! The temperature here is just now starting to be above freezing at night (between 0-3 Celsius / 32 -38 Fahrenheit). The days have been warm at (13-19 Celsius / 55-65 Fahrenheit))Because of this, I left the bonsai in my garage for the first 3 days to help it acclimate to the new temperature while making sure it (and the new green shoots) were not exposed to sub-freezing temps. I moved it outside last week once the lows were above 3 Celsisu/38 Fahrenheit) and it seemed to be handling it pretty well. It has been getting ample water and southern exposure (roughly 8 hours of sun from 8:00am-4pm). Although the temperature is lower in Idaho than San Diego, the bonsai is probably getting double the amount of sun it was getting while in San Diego. It has been outside in Idaho now for 6 days/nights.

In the last 2 days, the leaves on the outside of the trees have begun to brown slightly. The browning is also occurring on the moss in the pot. Since there are so many new variables, I am not sure what is causing the effect and what steps I should take to make sure the grouping survives the move?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re-Locating a Dawn Redwood 4 years 9 months ago #51748

• Ashleigh
  • Thanks received: 1
I’m an amateur when it comes to bonsai’s, but my knowledge of trees in general tells me the browning is from sun exposure. This isn’t always permanent; they are able to recover. I would offer more filtered light, and ensure they soil is most. Don’t water in direct sunlight.

Re-Locating a Dawn Redwood 4 years 9 months ago #51749

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
Skovich, welcome.
Nice little trees!
I wouldn't worry too much, they look healthy so far.

Re-Locating a Dawn Redwood 4 years 9 months ago #51751

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Skovich, welcome.
Nice little trees!
I wouldn't worry too much, they look healthy so far.

Skovich, 1 post,
3 months 1 day ago

I don't think he'll be reading that...

Re-Locating a Dawn Redwood 4 years 9 months ago #51753

• seeparks
  • Thanks received: 9
I don’t have anything to add about the browning but that’s a very nice group of trees.

• Page: