Bonsai forum

Snow Rose Bonsai - Next Steps (Is it dead at this point?)

• egalway17
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Snow Rose Bonsai - Next Steps (Is it dead at this point?) was created by egalway17

Posted 5 years 2 days ago #48624
Hello! I am a beginner with Bonsai and got a snow rose as a Christmas gift. It was growing well until I noticed that it had stopped blooming and appeared to be in distress. I got solid fertilizer because I thought it just needed some nutrients. Upon further inspection I noticed almost microscopic bugs and webbing all over it, it was infested. I used a natural water and soap pesticide to clear them out (it was also a really cold day) which I think shocked the bonsai. But then, I noticed it slowly coming back after being completely bare and blooming little green leaves. But, they did not grow to full size and disappeared and now it is not blooming at all. I checked the branches and they used to be green inside when it had started blooming again but now appears it has stopped growing altogether. The branches are still somewhat flexible though. Lighting, watering, temperature has been consistent and I trimmed branches and leaves that looked dead. I'm wondering if the entire thing is dead at this point, or if I should try to repot it or what next steps should be! I've attached a picture of when I first got it and now. Please Help!
by egalway17

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Snow Rose Bonsai - Next Steps (Is it dead at this point?)

Posted 5 years 2 days ago #48625
It looks dead to me, this is a very young plant, I have no idea if it is hardy or not but trying to grow something like this in a house is not a good idea, and I am not surprised it is dead. You had spider mites which suggests that the atmosphere was very dry. Adding fertiliser compounded the problem. Next time get a tree and put it out where they belong.
by m5eaygeoff

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Snow Rose Bonsai - Next Steps (Is it dead at this point?)

Posted 5 years 2 days ago #48626
had a quick look, and it is one of the most difficult species to keep. It is not hardy and need to be in a heated greenhouse. It is intolerant of cold drafts and low light.
by m5eaygeoff