Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Loquat Bonsai? 4 years 11 months ago #49475

• Rekos
  • Rekos's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello! Brand new to the forum and to bonsai, so please bear with me.
Earlier this year, I acquired some loquat (Eriobotrya Japonica) seeds from a local tree and decided I'd try my hand at growing them. While I do plan to keep one as a normal tree, I'm interested in cultivating one (or possibly a couple, in case one fails) to be bonsai. I've done some poking around various websites and forums and haven't found much discussion on loquat bonsai. They grow naturally here so I plan to have the tree mainly outside for climate requirements (except of course in extreme weather.) I'm mainly unsure on what soil mixture would be best for a loquat tree and how to go about pruning it.

Another complication is that I realized I wanted to create a bonsai loquat tree after the seeds I acquired and planted sprouted. They're still quite small though (Largest is about 3 inches, 4 inches with leaves, smallest is about 2 inches and just sprouted leaves) so I'm hoping they (at least the smallest) can still be adjusted to become bonsai. If not, I can always wait until next year for more seeds although I am eager to start the process.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Loquat Bonsai? 4 years 10 months ago #49502

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

I'm mainly unsure on what soil mixture would be best for a loquat tree and how to go about pruning it.

Hi and welcome.
The Plum tree can be a bonsai and should be trained as one in a good bonsai mix.

Another complication is that I realized I wanted to create a bonsai loquat tree after the seeds I acquired and planted sprouted.

There is no problem at all. You have some two or three years of free growth before you start training them as bonsai.
See a good example:

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Loquat Bonsai? 4 years 8 months ago #51988

• Lingon
  • Thanks received: 0
Sorry, but the tree in the picture is a medlar (Mespilus germanica), not a loquat (Eriobotrya japonica). :)

• Page: