Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Complete beginner: trying to get started 4 years 10 months ago #50186

• Dawn
  • Dawn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello there !
I am wanting to get into the Bonsai hobby and have a few noob questions.
I am living in an apartment without access to a balcony or outdoor storage area, so I am not sure what plants will be the best for keeping indoors. I have read the list of indoor plants, but I'm not sure which one is best suited to my living situation. Low light/ partial shade ( but I am able to get small grow lights), low humidity ( does a small humidifier beside the plant help? )
I am hoping to start from seed, something that I can get easily, like citrus maybe ? I have been told that juniper can be a good indoor bonsai, but I have read conflicting information on that.
Soil is another thing I was wondering about. I was wondering about a soil mixture or blend that I could mix myself with inexpensive ingredients.
Lastly, how should I start the seeds ? after I use scarification, where should i plant them ? I have a starter kit with coconut fiber substrate, but I'm sot sure if that's a good substrate or not.

I am hoping to shed my reputation as a plant assassin. If you want a plant "dealt with" , I was the go to person for the job. I was told that Bonsai might teach me how to better take care of plants as well as help combat depression.

any and all information and help will be appreciated. I want to learn all I can before jumping in with both feet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Complete beginner: trying to get started 4 years 10 months ago #50192

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 236
Hey Dawn :)
As I live in an apartment , I know some pain of yours, but I have a good situated balcony with full sun and full shade if needed.
I don’t think it’s a good idea to try to make a bonsai on your living conditions. It can became expensive fast just to keep it alive.
Why don’t you try with carnivorous plants? :)
You can give enough light with a led aquarium lamp (adapted for plant growth).

Dionaea flowering under artificial light:

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Complete beginner: trying to get started 4 years 10 months ago #50211

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
You do carniverous plants? Weird... I know several bonsai growers who grow them too. That includes me...

Complete beginner: trying to get started 4 years 10 months ago #50212

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Weird... I know several bonsai growers who grow them too. That includes me...

And me.

Complete beginner: trying to get started 4 years 10 months ago #50214

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
Sorry, once again I'm going to have to burst a bubble. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just going to tell you the facts - and the reason for telling this is that, if you start trying to grow bonsai, and you find it doesn't work out, it will not help you.

1. Bonsai are rarely grown from seed. Well, actually, all trees come from seed, but starting from seed will take very, very long (think at least 15 years before you have something basic).
2. To grow bonsai, you need the best conditions. The tree must be very healthy and strong. Indoors, you will not find these conditions
3. Junipers do NOT belong indoors. They may live a while, but with the lack of seasonal changes, proper light, humidity etc. they will die

With your reputation as a plant killer, starting with something that requires so much, is probably not a good idea.

Felicidae gave a good tip. Maybe I have one too:
How about creating terrariums? I have one myself. Not as fancy as this one, but it does work indoors, it's fun to do and nice to look at:

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Felidae

Complete beginner: trying to get started 4 years 10 months ago #50245

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I also do terrariums :)
Maybe at the beginning it’s easier with carnivores. Terras are degrading slower than carnis if it have a problem, but have more things to keep in balance.

This message has attachments images.

Complete beginner: trying to get started 4 years 10 months ago #50274

• Dawn
  • Dawn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thanks for your honesty people !

I love terrariums ! I have three desert reptile enclosures that I would love to spruce up with some plants, but the reptiles I keep are Uromastyx.....and they would most likely try to eat whatever I put in there XD!
I would love to make some tropical bottle terrariums out of large cider jugs, that might be fun.

I think carnivorous plants are amazing, I would love to try them.....would they combine well with terrariums ?

I'm glad I asked questions before starting. I didn't want to jump in without knowing what I was getting into.
is there aany information you could give me on carnivorous plants ? can I start them from seed ?

Complete beginner: trying to get started 4 years 10 months ago #50276

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Fantastic ^^
Uros are sadly not compatible with planted terras. Their climate needs are barely compatible with any. Plus they would stomp out the hell of everything :D
Instead try to build some for Phelsuma species (except P. grandis). More stockier plants are also okay with Correlophus ciliatus, but they can get onto the 80g range, so....
Consider also, for Phelsumas you need higher temperatures than what ciliatus needs. If you want animals on the terras, chose the plants and their placement according the needs of the animals.

I’m sure many can help here with carnivorous plants and terrariums, but you’ll have much more luck and information on specific forums.

Complete beginner: trying to get started 4 years 10 months ago #50303

• Fonz
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 46
Sorry for the off-topic post but what's this fascination of bonsai people with carnivorious plants? Here are mine :)
Anyone wants some drosera capensis?

This message has an attachment image.

Complete beginner: trying to get started 4 years 10 months ago #50304

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Sorry for the off-topic post but what's this fascination of bonsai people with carnivorious plants? Here are mine :)
Anyone wants some drosera capensis?

WOW, Fonz, they look like an army!
I like them to be around my plants to eat the nasty fungus gnats we have here all the time. Hot weather, heavy rains, some organic soil and the gnats love this combination. So I keep them in check with my carnivores...

• Page: