Bonsai forum

Acorns have sprouted - what next?

• othermotte
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Acorns have sprouted - what next? was created by othermotte

Posted 4 years 10 months ago #50405
I have about ten acorns that have germinated into plants about 6" tall and would like to grow some of them as bonsai. My apologies to bonsai lovers but am soley looking to put these particualr trees to good use.

From my initial investigatons, the advice I see usally talks about taking a 3-5 year old tree, planting it in a tray and begiining to shape it. So, if the best for me to do is to wait, then do the course on this site when the trees are ready, that's fine. There would be no point me doing the course before because I'll have forgooten everything after the years have elapsed.

However, I wonder if there is action I could take now and over the next few years to develop these trees as bonsai? It seems a wasted opportunity not to influence their growth from this stage.

I live in Kent, in England and the acorns were collected whil walking the dogs in my local woods.

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Gary
by othermotte

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Acorns have sprouted - what next?

Posted 4 years 10 months ago #50413
In winter I would trim the tips of the roots. Now you can think of the shape you are aiming for. I am a fan of wiring the very young plants for those trees that will not be straight.

www.growingbonsai.net/baby-bending/
by leatherback

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.