Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Sweet Plum - has it given up the ghost? 4 years 10 months ago #50410

• Jukie
  • Jukie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi there, I did a bit of a search to see if anyone had already asked or answered this, but didn't find anything but if you have I apologise, and hope you can point me in the right direction.

My husband received a Sweet Plum bonsai in December as a birthday gift, it stands 7 inches high. (not sure if this is relevant to the question and possible solutions, but we are based in Ontario Canada, so we have hot summers but we have long cold winters)

The sweet plum was initially a happy little camper, it sprouted new leaves and seemed to be going great guns, we were/are meticulous at watering before she gets to dry. He did a little bit of pruning in February, leaving some new growth on the tree. Since that pruning the tree as effectively taken a nose dive, the leaves are falling, there is no new growth and it looks exceedingly sorry for it's self.

Factors that might be at play

1. we have forced heating and air-conditioning in our home, and the fan is running 24/7 regardless of whether the home is being heated or cooled.
2. the plant (was) sat on our dining room table, approximately 3 ft from a window that is North East facing with the blinds open 24/7
3. we have seen no visible pest infestation
4. we approximately 2 weeks ago added a tray beneath the plant pot with stones in it that is dampened regularly to try an increase the moisture level in the air due to the forced air and de-humidification of our heating/cooling system.

From what I can find/read it may be one of the following
1. over watering (possible with new Bonsai owners)
2. underwatering - unlikely he ritually checks
3. lack of nutrients - not enough fertizer
4. lack of light, although it is close to a window, maybe it is not getting enough direct sunlight

....or maybe none of the above!

We have moved it outside as the weather is about 24 Celsius at the moment, it is in a secluded spot, safe from excessive wind, and will get a good dose of sunlight but will be slightly shaded in the afternoon, to see if 'light' may be the factor.

Any suggestions on how we go about reviving her if this is even possible?

Thanks in advance for your help!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sweet Plum - has it given up the ghost? 4 years 10 months ago #50419

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
Jukie, thanks for all the explanation.
It seems unrelated to the trimming. Leaves look dry and I guess it can be two factors combined:
1-) Lack of humidity.
Radiators and air conditioning are plant killers, because the air gets too dry and plants die. Even if you mist them frequently.
2-) Light.
Indoors, close to a window, is never enough for a potted plant. It should be outdoors while the temperatures are not below 5C.
I see your problem having long winters of freezing temps and keeping bonsai indoors; Difficult equation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jukie

Sweet Plum - has it given up the ghost? 4 years 10 months ago #50420

• Jukie
  • Jukie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thank you, we will keep her outside and see how she does.

• Page: