Bonsai forum

Will solar tubes provide enough light for a Sago Palm Bonsai?

• jizared09
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Will solar tubes provide enough light for a Sago Palm Bonsai? was created by jizared09

Posted 4 years 9 months ago #50981
Hello everyone!

I’m a complete beginner to Bonsai, despite owing a Willow Leaf Ficus Bonsai that seems to take care of itself out doors with dappled sun and 1-2 waterings a week. I’ve had it for about 10 years and never pruned anything (it was pruned and shaped before I got it, the wire is in the same position as it was 10 years ago), so I’ve got no experience except this one easy-to-grow Bonsai that I treat like any other plant and it thrives.

I recently picked up a gorgeous 20 year old Sago Palm Bonsai and want to keep it inside the house on the dining room table as it’s an incredible centerpiece and looks so good in that location. For light, I have two 24” solar light tubes that bring in quite a bit of sunlight. The Bonsai is directly under one of the lights and gets light from the other solar tube as well. I’ve read in many places online that Sago Palms will do just fine inside (of course it will do better outside.) From research, I expect less growth and slightly longer leaves from the new growth, which I’m fine with.

Do you guys think the dual solar tubes that provide a good amount of light will allow the Bonsai to continue to grow, albeit slowly? Or is this a bad idea and I should just put it outside? Remember, it’s in a wonderful spot, and slower growth doesn’t deter me. Thanks for your time!
Last Edit:4 years 9 months ago by jizared09
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by jizared09.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Will solar tubes provide enough light for a Sago Palm Bonsai?

Posted 4 years 9 months ago #50982

jizared09 wrote: Do you guys think the dual solar tubes that provide a good amount of light will allow the Bonsai to continue to grow, albeit slowly? Or is this a bad idea and I should just put it outside? Remember, it’s in a wonderful spot, and slower growth doesn’t deter me. Thanks for your time!

Hardly any (or even none) of the regulars here use growlights and I do not think anyone grows sago palms as they are not considered bonsai. I doubt you will get useful response on this forum.

Using the search option Sago is found in one topic of 2014, listing poisonous plants...
Last Edit:4 years 9 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Auk.

• jizared09
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by jizared09 on topic Will solar tubes provide enough light for a Sago Palm Bonsai?

Posted 4 years 9 months ago #50984
Thanks for the reply. I wouldn’t be surprised if no one had used a solar light tube for growing Bonsai. I’m hoping and thinking they will be superior compared to more typical indoor LED or CFL lighting, but I don’t know. My case is unusual for sure.

Why is a Sago Palm grown in Bonsai fashion not Bonsai? Is it because the Sago isn’t technically a tree? Is it because typical Bonsai technique is not used on this plant? Or is there another reason?

I’ve seen a lot of “Sago Palm Bonsai” plants for sale from different retailers. Are they using the word ‘Bonsai’ loosely?

Thank you for your time.
by jizared09

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Will solar tubes provide enough light for a Sago Palm Bonsai?

Posted 4 years 9 months ago #50988

jizared09 wrote: Why is a Sago Palm grown in Bonsai fashion not Bonsai? Is it because the Sago isn’t technically a tree? Is it because typical Bonsai technique is not used on this plant? Or is there another reason?

www.growingbonsai.net/why-is-my-tree-not-a-bonsai/

jizared09 wrote:
I’ve seen a lot of “Sago Palm Bonsai” plants for sale from different retailers. Are they using the word ‘Bonsai’ loosely?

Thank you for your time.

Yeah, pretty much any retailer that uses the term bonsai, has no idea what they are elling and whether it in any form relates to bonsai.
by leatherback

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 236

Replied by Felidae on topic Will solar tubes provide enough light for a Sago Palm Bonsai?

Posted 4 years 9 months ago #51002
Maybe I’m wrong, but Sago palm could be that highly toxic cycas what killed my neighbor’s dog...
Seems impossible to make bonsai from it with the 1 leaf/year growth, but Solar-tubes are sure thing for make it thrive indoors, if you correctly calculate the needs and space.
by Felidae