Bonsai forum

Need a hand with identification

• Ashen23
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Need a hand with identification was created by Ashen23

Posted 4 years 9 months ago #51399
Hello, I have got my first bonsai, but I am not 100% sure if it’s what I think it is.... I have a feeling it’s a Japanese/Chinese pepper, but would like a second opinion.

Hopefully someone can help.
by Ashen23

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Need a hand with identification

Posted 4 years 9 months ago #51420

Ashen23 wrote: Hello, I have got my first bonsai, but I am not 100% sure if it’s what I think it is.... I have a feeling it’s a Japanese/Chinese pepper, but would like a second opinion.

Yes, could be a Japanese pepper. What did the vendor of the plant tell you that it is?

Never understood the names of these trees. Japanese Pepper is Zanthoxylum Pepperitum, However, when you look up 'zathoxylum pepperitum bonsai', you'll get images of the Chinese pepper that looks very different. Weird.
by Auk

• Ashen23
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Ashen23 on topic Need a hand with identification

Posted 4 years 9 months ago #51431
unfortunately the garden centre i got it from wasn't very helpful and said it was an elm but i wan't 100% sure it was, also the informational tag after closer inspection after getting home just said a indoor "bonsai".
after getting it home and researching more, i was 110% sure it was not a elm. also then found it was very dry so i would like to let it recover before repotting it to remove the over use of lava rock (40% of the pot is just lava rock with next to no soil) and go for a more soil with moss(if this tree likes that soil).
by Ashen23

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Need a hand with identification

Posted 4 years 9 months ago #51434
- If the seller cannot tell you what species it is, don't buy it as they have no knowledge of the tree and cannot advise you
- If you do not know what species it is, do not buy it, as you won't know how to take care for it
- If the seller says it is an indoor plant, walk away, do research and then decide if you can really keep it indoors.

The Japanese pepper is NOT an indoor tree.

Try and find care guidelines for this tree - without using the word 'bonsai' in your search terms, as then you 'll find the Chinese pepper, which it seems you can keep indoors.
by Auk

• Ashen23
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Ashen23 on topic Need a hand with identification

Posted 4 years 9 months ago #51438
The tree has since the picture was taken (4 days ago) been moved outdoors as it. as it would get more sun during the day.
by Ashen23