Bonsai forum

Seedlings turning yellow and withering urgent advice appreciated

• TomJM76
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Seedlings turning yellow and withering urgent advice appreciated was created by TomJM76

Posted 4 years 9 months ago #51471
Hello, I’m new to the art of Bonsai and this forum, so please forgive my naivety. I have been growing trees from seed and they’ve been doing great for a good couple of months until around a week ago. As you can see from the pics, leaves have begun wilting and losing their rich green colour. In terms of watering, I’ve never let them go dry, occasionally fed with nutrients and so far, so good. They are indoors as I live in an apartment and I see from reading the forum this may not be ideal and I wonder if this has caused the sudden wilting. I’d love to save them, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Varieties: Norway Spruce, Larch, Scotts Pine, Dawn Redwood (the worst affected). Tom.
by TomJM76

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Shephered
  • Thanks received: 13

Replied by Shephered on topic Seedlings turning yellow and withering urgent advice appreciated

Posted 4 years 9 months ago #51543
How much sun do they get?

I was also growing pine trees from seeds and they were doing excellent indoors for several months (almost seven). After urging from the community I gave them to a friend to foster as she has a yard.

Pines need to be outside.
Last Edit:4 years 9 months ago by Shephered
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Shephered.

• TomJM76
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by TomJM76 on topic Seedlings turning yellow and withering urgent advice appreciated

Posted 4 years 9 months ago #51756
Hi there,
Thank you for your reply. Reading about your experience with pines, and considering some of the advice on the website, I’m thinking this could be a lack of sun. Mine grew fantastically well for the first three or four months, yet the issue seems similar to yours where it may just be time that they need more direct sunlight. I found a spot on the roof terrace at work where I’m going to give them a little bit of outdoor time to see what happens. Thank you very much for coming back to me with your advice!
by TomJM76