Bonsai forum

Chinese elm issue

• Samroson
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Chinese elm issue was created by Samroson

Posted 4 years 9 months ago #51496
Hi all,

Please may I have some advice concerning my Chinese elm. I was bought this Chinese elm eight months ago for Christmas and everything has been going great up until about the last four weeks. About four weeks ago I went away with the weekend and entrusted the health of my tree to my girlfriends' father who ensured me (with a strong defense) that he did water the plant during my absence. Upon returning from my weekend I found a very ill looking tree which has sad and brownish leaves (please see attachments). I did however notice that the soil was not dry, it only seemed like the top half of the plant was dry.

I kept the tree next to a window that gets quite intensive light. The room that this bonsai is in also gets very warm at this point in the year. I believe that the sad leaves could be a result of over exposure to sunlight. Would the greenhouse like environment, lack of flowing air (as the door was closed) and high heat cause the plant to act like this even with frequent watering?

Since the great fiasco and family upset 4 weeks ago, my plant has struggled to recover. Although I should note that there are some small green leaves sprouting, which shows some promising signs of life. Despite these small leaves, I am still quite worried about the health of my bonsai. I am not sure whether I am acting like an overprotective parent and expecting too quick of a recovery period, or whether after this kind of heat the plant will take some time to grow new leaves. Since the fiasco I have made sure that the blinds are only partially open to limit sunlight, but have kept it on the windowsill. I have also limited watering slightly as I also thought that the damage may have been coincidental root rot from overwatering (please see attached root image). I have read up on root rot and am unsure about whether this could be part of the issue. Since getting the Chinese elm, I have watered reasonably heavily at least once a day until I can see water run out the drainage, and I have recently read that you should probably water Chinese elms slightly more sparingly.

Please could you guys advise me on what corrective and future preventive actions I should take to better take care of my bonsai? Currently I am debating whether to move the tree, water more, water less or even repot. I am reluctant to repot however until early spring next year.

Sorry for the essay and thanks for your help in advance

Rob
by Samroson

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Replied by Clicio on topic Chinese elm issue

Posted 4 years 9 months ago #51497
Looks dead to me, although I could be wrong.
Yes, high heat and poor watering are the probable culprits.
Elms are tough, so wait a little more, sometimes they drop all leaves when under stress but new ones take their place.
I don't like the look of your soil anyway.
by Clicio

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Chinese elm issue

Posted 4 years 9 months ago #51498

Clicio wrote: Looks dead to me, although I could be wrong

No, you're right. It is dead. Look at the trunk and branches. The sap flow has stopped long ago.
Last Edit:4 years 9 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Auk.

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487

Replied by lucR on topic Chinese elm issue

Posted 4 years 9 months ago #51499
I don't think that was an elm, looks more like a carmona, and if it isn't dead it will be soon , that soil looks like a swamp...
by lucR

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Chinese elm issue

Posted 4 years 9 months ago #51500
It looks dead. Also, you did not have an elm but a carmona. Carmona are tricky and typically die within a year unless you really know what you are doing. So don't be to hard on your dad...
by leatherback