Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Accidentally put my oak in hibernation in early summer, help! 4 years 8 months ago #52198

• PekingAnkan
  • PekingAnkan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
South Swedish beginner here!

So i planted this acorn in soil last year and kept it indoors at first. Then when late spring/early summer came I thought I would put it outside. Basically we had some cold nights and the lil tree started looking beat up, browning leaves and some falling off.

So I took it inside again thinking I killed it, and forgot about it for awhile. Watered it once in awhile keeping hopes up for a few weeks, then forgot it completely when no signs of life were there.

Yesterday evening i noticed the lil guy had managed to pop up 3 new leaves after this dormancy period, has to be right? And now I don't know what to do. Fall is around the corner and this being an oak should be kept outside, should i start getting it used to being outdoors for the colder months or will that kill it at this state? What should I do? Looks like he thinks he is in spring times right now.
Thanks in advance!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by PekingAnkan.

Accidentally put my oak in hibernation in early summer, help! 4 years 8 months ago #52199

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
I don't think you put it into hibernation, you had it inside. That was the problm. It is still summer so it should be outside never inside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, PekingAnkan

Accidentally put my oak in hibernation in early summer, help! 4 years 8 months ago #52205

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I would place it outside. Main thing is to prtect it from direct sun and wind for the first few weeks though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PekingAnkan

• Page: