Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Beginner: Need hep with trunk chopping advice 4 years 8 months ago #52206

• bfunk99
  • bfunk99's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
I really dislike the un-natural trunk curves, thick branches pointing diff directions, etc. I'm leaning towards chopping just above the first branch to start over and re-develop, but had questions as I am a bonsai beginner.
- is just above the first branch too low, is this a good place? I was thinking before it's first curve?
- when would it be best to do so, late summer or after winter?
- any other thoughts or input appreciated

thanks in advance!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Beginner: Need hep with trunk chopping advice 4 years 8 months ago #52208

• Shephered
  • Thanks received: 13
If you're unhappy with the shape there are less drastic ways to change it than to do an entire trunk chop (I do personally believe chopping right after the first branch is a bit extreme, but that's a preference). If you use a trunk splitter and pierce the middle of the trunk in multiple places the tree will become more pliable and you can use heavy wire to slowly reshape it.

www.google.com/search?q=trunk+splitting+...Xd7zB7HW5gKJ5qmIDQ21
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfunk99

Last edit: Post by Shephered.

Beginner: Need hep with trunk chopping advice 4 years 8 months ago #52213

• bfunk99
  • bfunk99's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
If I were to attempt that, what would be the best time of the year? Does same theory work for the branches? Some are so disproportionately thick, maybe better off removing a few major branches? Thanks again.

Beginner: Need hep with trunk chopping advice 4 years 8 months ago #52216

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
The only realistic way to salvage this if you are serious about bonsai is to chop it, indeed. If done well, the wound will heal over and in 5-10 years you will not be able to see the chopping site, unless very experienced.

For me, I would however not just chop. Your tree has one extreme loop. Above that, thew plant is OK. So in spring, I would air-layer the top, just above the weird loup in the trunk. After the layer has been separated, you can explore the right angle of planting to see whether you can keep most of the rest or whether a lower chop is needed.

Beginner: Need hep with trunk chopping advice 4 years 8 months ago #52219

• Shephered
I would suggest waiting for early spring before making any drastic changes, as summer is winding down and your tree will soon enter dormancy. I think the best thing to do, if you're following my advice, would be to decide on what you want the tree to look like after its all said and done, split and wire the trunk. Then let it grow for another year, and then remove any branches you don't intend to keep.

Remember, bonsai is a waiting game and you'll need to spend a significant amount of time reworking this baby before she meets your expectations. Stick to the one hurt a year practice and you should do okay.

Last edit: Post by Shephered.

Beginner: Need hep with trunk chopping advice 4 years 8 months ago #52223

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

. . . summer is winding down and your tree will soon enter dormancy.

Depends on where you are. My brother in Colorado turns on the heat around September 1. Here in Alabama we will have days over 90F/30C until November and the trees will be growing new leaves at least until September, some into October. I had an elm out in the yard that kept leaves until January. Dormancy depends on the tree, not the calendar.

Beginner: Need hep with trunk chopping advice 4 years 8 months ago #52233

• Shephered
You're right, of course, I didn't consider OP's location.

• Page: