Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

When to buy seeds 4 years 7 months ago #52833

• bonsaibd224
  • bonsaibd224's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum but had a few questions for the upcoming year. I would like to start growing my bonsai from seedlings, but would like help on when/where to buy these seeds. When is the best time to buy trident maple seedlings (when will the seeds from this year be harvested so I have a higher chance of getting fresh seeds)? How can I tell if the seeds are "fresh"? What online retailers would you recommend? Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

When to buy seeds 4 years 7 months ago #52844

• Fonz
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 46
Hi, welcome to the board.

Growing trees that will later become bonsai from seed is fine. But if you really want to get into bonsai you should buy bigger material like bonsai starters at a bonsai nursery. I too started with seeds but now 2 years later they are still seedlings with hardly anything to work on, they just have to grow the first couple of years. In the mean time I bought several (like 30 or so) starter trees. And took a bunch of workshops with those trees. In the meantime my seedlings can grow quietly without me harrasing them.

But here are some good sites for seeds:

treeseedonline.com
sheffields.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Auk, bonsaibd224

Last edit: Post by Fonz.

When to buy seeds 4 years 7 months ago #52846

• bonsaibd224
Does it matter when to buy these seeds? If I buy it later (October or November), would that yield to a higher germination rate given that the chances they were of this season is higher? Thanks

Also, I want to make it clear that I am well aware that these seeds (99%) will not germinate true to the mother tree if it is a specific cultivar, thus I am just getting generic seeds (trident maple, green japanese maple, zelkova serrata). I just think it's a much more rewarding (and of course longer) process when you are able to grow them from the very start :)

Last edit: Post by bonsaibd224.

When to buy seeds 4 years 7 months ago #52852

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
If you get seeds from respectable dealers, as examplified above, you should have no problem hgetting a high germination rate. Reliable sellers will actually indicate the expected germination rate provided you can give them the right conditions.

I prefer to plant in the fall. Put them in a pot, water. Seal the pot from rodents and birds by nets and just chuck it in a fairly sheltered corner of the garden. Avoid it sitting in permanent downpoors or sun. Come spring, the seeds will come to live. I do not mess with artificial chilling in fridges as I find it too much hassle and to be honest.. Nature knows how to germinate seeds..

Respectable sellers will only sell seeds that are true to the stock, or they will inform you of the risk of using that seed. Cultivars that do not run true from seed are usually only through hobby channels, as professional growers do not have the time, money or iterest; They will use wild rootstock and graft the cultivar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bonsaibd224

When to buy seeds 4 years 7 months ago #52856

• bonsaibd224
Do you happen to know any good dealers within the North America region? Those dealers all seem to be from Europe. I was looking at rarexoticseeds.com; have you heard of them?

And I understand that the process to germinate should begin in fall, however, does it matter when the seeds are bought from the dealer? Does it matter if I buy seeds from last season for example? If it does matter, when would be an optimal time to buy seeds that were from this season? Thanks!

Last edit: Post by bonsaibd224.

When to buy seeds 4 years 7 months ago #52860

• Fonz
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 46
Sheffields is American but treeseedonline offers a lower shipping rate :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: bonsaibd224

Last edit: Post by Fonz.

When to buy seeds 4 years 7 months ago #52864

• bonsaibd224
Thank you for your response! I think I will stick to Sheffields to eliminate any problems coming into the country! Do you have any experience germinating trident maples (or japanese maples)? I've read online about putting the seeds in hot water for a day --> refrigerate --> plant in spring, but I'm leaning more towards just planting them in fall. If that's the case, do I still need to put them in hot water for a day, then plant them outside in the fall?

• Page: