Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

I am new to bonsai and would like suggestions 4 years 6 months ago #52834

• Bsheimo
  • Bsheimo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I recently purchased a Fukien Tea bonsai from a store because I’ve always been very interested in them and wanted one. I know that buying a Mallsai is usually not the best idea but my tree seems fairly healthy (I’ve had it for a few weeks and it’s hasnt had any major leaf loss, just one or two here and there) the biggest questions I am having is if it would be okay to put it in a proper pot and bonsai soil and if there are any suggestions on pruning and shaping Because I feel like some branches are over grown and wild. I don’t know exactly how old it is, all I know is it’s in normal soil and takes a long time to drain. I have bonsai soil mix and a proper pot for it but I don’t know if it is ready to be re-potted or not. I don’t know a whole lot about bonsai yet so anything is appreciated thanks!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Bsheimo.

I am new to bonsai and would like suggestions 4 years 6 months ago #52835

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
I would repot. But Take your time studying how to do it properly.

Br
Magnus

I am new to bonsai and would like suggestions 4 years 6 months ago #52836

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

I recently purchased a Fukien Tea bonsai from a store because I’ve always been very interested in them and wanted one. I know that buying a Mallsai is usually not the best idea but my tree seems fairly healthy

It's not only about health. This plant has very little to do with the art of bonsai. It is not much more than a shaped plant in a fancy pot, with fancy stones and decorative dead moss, all elements you will not find in real bonsai.

are any suggestions on pruning and shaping

This plant is already shaped and there's not much you can do but keep it in that shape by pruning branches that grow too long.

If you want to train this into a real bonsai, that's going to take drastic measures, knowledge, practice and patience.

I am new to bonsai and would like suggestions 4 years 6 months ago #52838

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
For now i dont think there are any reason to start styling. Repot it and wait for the tree to respond by good growth. Once healthy, you can clean it up and thin. Once that is done I suggest taking new photos from the front side at the same height as the tree so the trunk can be seen properly.

I am not that found of mallsais. But sometimes the lighting strikes the same place twice. It is possible to find good material amongst Them, however most often far too expensive. If your tree has any potential to be a good bonsai in the future just is not possible to determine from the photos. If not, you can still have the enjoiment of growing a tree that you like in a pot. And of cource practising bonsai care and learn from it. When you are read you can start looking for better material.

artofbonsai.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2346

Br
Magnus

I am new to bonsai and would like suggestions 4 years 6 months ago #52840

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Ah yes... opinions... are like...

www.houzz.com/discussions/1376236/mallsa...the-bonsai-community

Reaility is that 99,99 percent of these plants never become a bonsai and most of 'm just die.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

I am new to bonsai and would like suggestions 4 years 6 months ago #52841

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Auk: what do you think that percentage is with garden materials according to you standard of what can be called bonsai?

At least when it comes to show bonsai I would think that the percentage is similar as your statement.

Br
Magnus

I am new to bonsai and would like suggestions 4 years 6 months ago #52842

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Auk: what do you think that percentage is with garden materials according to you standard of what can be called bonsai?

Lots less, as these plants are healthy and outside where they belong. Certainly they can die, but not just from being a mallsai in the wrong environment and in the wrong hands. When they die in the process of becoming bonsai, at least the owner was doing bonsai. Buying a mallsai, not knowing what you bought, not having read a single book on bonsai or having done any research does not make you a starter in the bonsai hobby (not directed against the OP, who at least knows that buying a mallsai is not the best way to start with bonsai).

Last edit: Post by Auk.

I am new to bonsai and would like suggestions 4 years 6 months ago #52849

• Bsheimo
  • Bsheimo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I decided after a while of reading material and watching some tutorials online that I would repot the tree in a proper pot and soil. I also took some new pictures so you can see before and after. It seems to have a lot of growth on one side but not as much on the other. Again, any suggestions or advice is welcomed. (I am new to this hobby so I am not an “expert” like some of you guys)

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

I am new to bonsai and would like suggestions 4 years 6 months ago #52850

• skeletor
  • Thanks received: 1
Looks nice now
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bsheimo

• Page: