Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

My bonsai leaves have fallen 4 years 6 months ago #53642

• Eni
  • Eni's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Please can someone help me,i have a ficus bonsai now for 2 years,since the very first months leaves started to fall,then some new ones did start to grow,but for the very last year there are more falling then new ones,a month ago i changed the pot but it seems that the soil doesnt get the water very good,it takes some time to absorb it and the leaves have fallen more. Please can you tell me what should i do,i have used fertilisers also. Thanks

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My bonsai leaves have fallen 4 years 6 months ago #53644

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1357
Congratulations for keeping the tree healthy for 2 years. Most of those supermarket ficuses die within the first mont or so.

There are not so clear pictures to the problem and frankly I havent so much experience with those super market trees.

First of all: Never fertilize an unhealthy tree. So that you need to stop right away.

I am not sure if you changed pot or you repotted it. But it looks to be in a peat based organic soil. If it is old organic soil you might want to consider repotting. If it is still in the soil it was in when purshased, even more.

BR
Magnus

My bonsai leaves have fallen 4 years 6 months ago #53663

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Congratulations for keeping the tree healthy for 2 years. Most of those supermarket ficuses die within the first mont or so.

Most - I guess I have the exception. It is about 20 years old now, started in a 3 inch pot (which the majority of the world would call 8 cm). Now it is in an oval pot, about 15 inches (i.e, 38 cm) and I will probably move it to a larger pot in a year or so.

My bonsai leaves have fallen 4 years 6 months ago #53667

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1357
Yea, I didnt say all. The difference is obvious. You are into bonsai as a hobby and serious about it. Which means that you know how to pick the healthy one and give it the correct care. Most of Theese trees are in very bad condition when they arrive in the super market. And people that buy Theese trees are more into home decoration and dont know how to save Them.

I do have a super market tree as well. But as it is The first year i cannot really claim any success yet. It was healthy when i purshased it thou.

Br
Magnus

• Page: