Bonsai forum

Schefflera help

• tpthompson0
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Schefflera help was created by tpthompson0

Posted 4 years 5 months ago #54326
I'm sure this has made its way to the forum somewhere somehow before so I apologize for crowding it up more but I am just wanting to learn as best I can. I purchased a more mature Hawaiian umbrella bonsai about a month ago and it had been outside in a greenhouse. I know the local bonsai guru guy and I bought it from him. I placed it in a spot in our home (pictured below) because I researched and found that they could be indoor trees and can manage with low humidity and lower light levels. It gets decent light and air movement in the spot it is in, but recently some of the leaves have started to turn yellow and brown (again pictured below). I am not certain if this is because I maybe watered it too much, which is my guess, or if this is because it is experiencing some trauma from moving outside to inside or if this is happening because of the change in season that is occurring here in Indiana (winter, first snow is happening as I type this actually) because it is dropping some leaves as well. Again not certain if that is from the potential overwatering, moving outdoor to indoor or the seasonal change. If someone can help me solve this problem that would be great! It is planted in homemade soil that is basically akadama mix so it drains very well but I may have overwatered once or twice since purchasing. I am not sure if I need to repot it real quick and trim the damaged roots or if I can just use some neem oil on it. Thank you for your help masters!
This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
by tpthompson0

This message has attachments images.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Schefflera help

Posted 4 years 5 months ago #54329
What did the guy you boought it from recommend?
He knows this plant and your local conditions better than anyone online.
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: tpthompson0

• Bunsen33
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 43

Replied by Bunsen33 on topic Schefflera help

Posted 4 years 5 months ago #54335
Although I hate to say it, I also live in Indiana. We brought our Scheffelaras in a few weeks ago and did not see any leaf drop or discoloring. If yours was still outside during that brief cold snap a week or so ago that might be a contributing factor.

The brown leaves that you've shown seem to be interior leaves that may not be getting enough light, or are just simply older, so the plant is choosing to direct its resources to more productive parts/areas.

If you are in the Indianapolis area I suggest checking out the bonsai club ( www.indybonsai.org ). We are currently on our winter break and our next meeting will be the first week of February.

In the meantime, talk to your buddy who you bought this from as LB suggested.
by Bunsen33
The following user(s) said Thank You: tpthompson0

• tpthompson0
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by tpthompson0 on topic Schefflera help

Posted 4 years 5 months ago #54347
Okay thank you for the help. Indiana can be a strange place for weather and many of my trees are already outside and prepped for the winter but I have never had an indoor tree before so I was curious about what to do. This is what was said by my friend I purchased the tree from for anyone that may check into this post "When I have trees inside I usually have them about 6-12 inches away from a window and I water them about every other day. I wouldn't worry about root rot. These are rain forest trees. My soil is course and it drains well, so it doesn't get soggy like potting soil. I would recommend using a humidity tray. If you don't know what that is or how to use it, just get on YouTube and search 'humidity tray.' You'll get some good videos explaining how to use them. Using neem oil is fine, but don't use it straight up. I usually use about one tablespoon of neem per gallon of water."
by tpthompson0