Bonsai forum

Couple of questions (new to bonsai, no one in my area to learn from)

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Couple of questions (new to bonsai, no one in my area to learn from)

Posted 4 years 4 months ago #54655
Don't mention it. People here are not bad, Just worn out from a string of people just complaining and having made up their mind that they know what they do and just want confirmation. ;)

Just look at it like this: Yuo know your summer, and you are fine with it, and you walk 5km every day in the sun. No problems. Now I cut the amount of water you can take up, say, due to stomach problems. All of the sudden you get dehydrated very auickly when walking your regular routes. For plants it is no different. Cutting the roots just means they cannot take up water as fast. So, unless they are drought resistent due to reduced evaporation (junipers, pines, olives) or are bare in early spring, you need to protect the tree untill it has started growing.

Also, the roots of a tree are mostly without function in a pot. Only the end few cm are capable of real update of water and nutrients. Trim these off and your tree is basically without mouth.
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: crent89, wanderingHP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wanderingHP
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by wanderingHP on topic Couple of questions (new to bonsai, no one in my area to learn from)

Posted 4 years 4 months ago #54656
OK, and yea... I took it that way (I think :D). But here, normal conditions (at this time) are a bit harsh in general, so I should have been more "accommodating" of that. Which makes sense, but a few things I read were searing by "full sunlight & rain" after repoting (but that could have been an established bonsai.. not sure).

Thank you both though. Going to place this under a ledge of sorts against a wall to protect from the wind and excess rain these days.

Do you think full sunlight for 6+ hours would still be OK (if it's out), or should I limit that as well for awhile?

(Also, would this go for "any plant" more or less? or only one/both of the ones I mentioned in my OP? Curious..)
Last Edit:4 years 4 months ago by wanderingHP
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by wanderingHP.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Couple of questions (new to bonsai, no one in my area to learn from)

Posted 4 years 4 months ago #54657

leatherback wrote: Don't mention it. People here are not bad, Just worn out from a string of people just complaining and having made up their mind that they know what they do and just want confirmation. ;)

Exactly that. When even the nicest people like Clicio and Geoff get brushed off like this, while all they do is trying to help - by pointing out flaws and asking questions - this forum just is no fun anymore. It is the reason why I am not responding much anymore to newbies.
by Auk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tropfrog

• wanderingHP
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by wanderingHP on topic Couple of questions (new to bonsai, no one in my area to learn from)

Posted 4 years 4 months ago #54658
Hm... you said like "this" (meaning my post).

How did he assist in any way? (geoff I'm assuming, since he's the one who posted the dissmissive comment). His comments were valid, sure, but they were not specific in any way (and watering was covered in OP in relation to time it's been 'alive'). And the "crap wiring" was established...IF he feels it's wiring causing the issues over the entire tree (with or without wire) or both trees, then OK. My apologies for drastically misunderstanding. I did not feel that to be the case. A new person comes to forums like these for assistance, not to be disregarded & shooed away.

If he's friendly and helpful, that's great, but reading his reply do you really think that to be the case? He did not provide any specific information or assistance and literally told me to "go read a book." If you deal with people who know nothing and come on asking questions with no clear research or anything done, ok, I get being a bit jaded... but am I to accept and be grateful for being treated like that? Condescending and dismissive. It is what it is, but I'm not going to be happy about it.

I was polite enough to thank him for taking the time to reply, but I don't see how that was helpful in any way. In fact the following reply was him and another supporting him to NOT help new people. Sets a bad tone in my opinion. Besides the initial response, and now yours, I HAVE gotten good help and people were friendly about it. (which is great, obviously!)

People really shouldn't support NOT helping new members... regardless of your reasons. Keep quiet if that's the case. IF ANYTHING, you take issue with ME (or whomever the new person is and their message you have problems with). Don't promote "keeping quiet" and not responding to new people. Bitch at me if there's a real issue, or point out what I did that's so offensive and/or causing such an upheaval. (if you don't want to with me, fine, but down the line...come on, dismissing new people and not responding benefits no one).

Thank you again to everyone who has helped. And I'm MOSTLY sorry for the little side thing with replying to newbies. Don't want to cause problems, but I'm not one to leave it be without attempting to discuss (or point out flaws in logic). (My own flaws, I know).

Thanks, gnight people.
Last Edit:4 years 4 months ago by wanderingHP
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by wanderingHP.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Couple of questions (new to bonsai, no one in my area to learn from)

Posted 4 years 4 months ago #54659
Gnight!

And please.. Do tell whether the tree lives or not!
by leatherback