Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Newbie 4 years 3 months ago #54720

• kimmykim208
  • kimmykim208's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
First and foremost...hi...thank you for having this forum!

I am new to bonsais. I actually killed one earlier this year but bought one last month to try again. When I first got my bonsai, the leaves were tender. I’ve noticed the past couple of days that they are getting a little stiff.

The person I bought it from stated to water it every other day. She told me this little tree is 3 years old. I’ve been keeping it inside since it is still young but I try to place it outside if the weather warms up.

I’ve been doing lots of googling trying to do it right this time but what am I doing wrong? I don’t want to lose another bonsai.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Newbie 4 years 3 months ago #54721

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

I’ve been doing lots of googling trying to do it right this time but what am I doing wrong? I don’t want to lose another bonsai.

You're not loosing a bonsai, you're loosing a very young plant that was sold as bonsai, but isn't one.
What you're doing wrong is keeping it indoors.

The person who sold it doesn't know about bonsai, or how to treat plants. You do not water every other day, you water when needed.

Newbie 4 years 3 months ago #54725

• kimmykim208
  • kimmykim208's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
This isn’t a bonsai? It has a wooden trunk...? I guess I’m just confused as to what a bonsai is then if this isn’t one. I will do as suggested and only water when needed.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Newbie 4 years 3 months ago #54726

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

This isn’t a bonsai? It has a wooden trunk...? I guess I’m just confused as to what a bonsai is then if this isn’t one. I will do as suggested and only water when needed.

No, it's not. Bonsai is not a tree species. Not anything with a wooden trunk in a pot is a bonsai.
Bonsai is a technique used to create trees that look like real trees in nature, but miniaturized. Anything that's just 3 years old cannot be a bonsai.

What you have is just a young juniper.

• Page: