Bonsai forum

Only the lower branches woke up on European Elm after ground layering

• proninyaroslav
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1

Only the lower branches woke up on European Elm after ground layering was created by proninyaroslav

Posted 4 years 4 weeks ago #57310
Hi! Last year I made earth layering on a European elm, as it has problems with nebari. I gave it free growth all the season. This spring I repotted it when the buds began to break. The elm has a lot of new roots in the layering. Even before the repot, I noticed that the buds of the lower branches were most swollen, compared with the upper branches. Now on the lower branches there are already small leaves, while on the upper branches the buds don’t swell. Some branches are dry and dead, but most of them are alive and have green cambium, if I scratch the bark. What can I do in this situation? It may make sense to cover the top of the tree with a bag to keep moisture in the upper branches and trunk? Perhaps this will stimulate the buds opening on the upper branches? Also, maybe they should just be cut to stimulate back budding? This year we had an abnormally warm winter and already in mid-February the buds began to swell. Last year, the elm gave strong growth on the lower branches, since the tree is in the process of being developed and requires thicker branches at the bottom. I also have a sacrificial branch at the top, which has had strong growth all season. And it’s also in a sleeping state, which is a bit strange. Only the lower branches began to actively wake up.
Last Edit:4 years 4 weeks ago by proninyaroslav

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 4 years 4 weeks ago by proninyaroslav.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Only the lower branches woke up on European Elm after ground layering

Posted 4 years 4 weeks ago #57311
Give it time, they may be alive, There is nothing else you can do if the buds are dead they are dead. It is still early in the spring so I would wait and see
by m5eaygeoff
The following user(s) said Thank You: proninyaroslav

• proninyaroslav
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by proninyaroslav on topic Only the lower branches woke up on European Elm after ground layering

Posted 4 years 3 weeks ago #57475
Today I decided to cover its top with a black partially transparent plastic bag, I will maintain moderate humidity in it so that mold doesn't form. Although it may be worth using high humidity, as in the original "sweating techniques"...
by proninyaroslav

• proninyaroslav
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by proninyaroslav on topic Only the lower branches woke up on European Elm after ground layering

Posted 4 years 1 week ago #57993
Well, enough time has passed. The lower branches thrive and grow, but the upper branches have not moved from this point and have no signs of growth.
Oddly enough, the cambium of these branches and the trunk is green, that is, the upper part is alive. This is strange.
by proninyaroslav

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1361

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Only the lower branches woke up on European Elm after ground layering

Posted 4 years 1 week ago #57996
Thriving low branches is a good sign when creating bonsai. Most trees is top heavy/strong By nature. Hard to tell for your tree though Since there are no picture of your tree.
Last Edit:4 years 1 week ago by Tropfrog
Last edit: 4 years 1 week ago by Tropfrog.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Only the lower branches woke up on European Elm after ground layering

Posted 4 years 1 week ago #58001

proninyaroslav wrote: Well, enough time has passed. The lower branches thrive and grow, but the upper branches have not moved from this point and have no signs of growth.
Oddly enough, the cambium of these branches and the trunk is green, that is, the upper part is alive. This is strange.

Patience. 2 weeks is nothing.
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: proninyaroslav

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1361

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Only the lower branches woke up on European Elm after ground layering

Posted 4 years 1 week ago #58003

leatherback wrote:

proninyaroslav wrote: Well, enough time has passed. The lower branches thrive and grow, but the upper branches have not moved from this point and have no signs of growth.

Patience. 2 weeks is nothing.

Is it possible to see posting date from a computer? I find it difficult to understand the whole context using Only phone.
by Tropfrog

• proninyaroslav
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 4 years 1 week ago #58014
Start of topic - 3 weeks ago. After plastic bag covering 2 weeks passed.
by proninyaroslav