Bonsai forum

Identify tree please!

• Zulu
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Identify tree please! was created by Zulu

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #1459
Hello everyone.
I just saved this tree from a horrible sure death existance at home depot.
I repoted...it was in regular potting soil with some driveway gravel guled together on top.
I checked out the tree identification page and wasn't sure what I have.
The home depot garden staff had no idea what it was.I think it's an olive tree.
Can anyone verify or correct me.
Thank you so much.
by Zulu

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62

Replied by Pinkham on topic Re: Identify tree please!

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #1461
Zulu,
I think it is an olive..and acute one too.
The re-potting probably saved it's life.It might lose it's leaves from stress. If it does don't worry. Just reduce watering until you see new growth.It looks pretty healthy, so it may not lose its leaves anyway.
Good luck :)
Lance
Last Edit:12 years 8 months ago by Pinkham
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by Pinkham.

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7

Replied by Leslie on topic Re: Identify tree please!

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #1465
Hi Zulu,

Welcome to the forum...so glad you could join us! :)

I am happy you were able to rescue this adorable tree from Home Depot! It does strongly resemble the Olive however, it is also very similar to the Serissa (also on the same tree identification page), at least in the leaves. I checked out a thread under "progessions" here on the forum which shows that the trunk of the *young* Olive is, in fact, an olive colour and is quite smooth. www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/progressions/...-bonsai-tree-species Where as the trunk on yours seems darker and a little rougher in texture. I'm wondering if you could find a photo of the Serissa trunk, if this would help indentify your tree? I will also look for a photo. ;)
by Leslie

• Zulu
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Zulu on topic Re: Identify tree please!

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #1466

Leslie wrote: Hi Zulu,

Welcome to the forum...so glad you could join us! :)

I am happy you were able to rescue this adorable tree from Home Depot! It does strongly resemble the Olive however, it is also very similar to the Serissa (also on the same tree identification page), at least in the leaves. I checked out a thread under "progessions" here on the forum which shows that the trunk of the *young* Olive is, in fact, an olive colour and is quite smooth. www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/progressions/...-bonsai-tree-species Where as the trunk on yours seems darker and a little rougher in texture. I'm wondering if you could find a photo of the Serissa trunk, if this would help indentify your tree? I will also look for a photo. ;)

Thanks Leslie!
Mine deoes seem a bit rougher in texture but the dark color is due to watering seconds before I took the picture. Thanks for the help!!!
Last Edit:12 years 8 months ago by Zulu
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by Zulu.

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #1468
Of course! How silly of me to miss that it was water that is darkening the trunk! :silly: It's good to see that you are misting your tree...that makes them happy! Let's see if we can find a good photo of the Serissa's trunk, branches and leaves. Hopefully we can figure this out.
by Leslie

• Zulu
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #1469
Wow Leslie, you have a really good eye; I do think this is a Serissa.
I found some Serissa links with images that look exactly like my little friend!
The roots, trunk and leaves match exactly! You're AWESOME!:)

grumblemouse.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/dsc03540.jpg

www.google.com/imgres?q=serissa+bonsai&h...:15,s:73&tx=80&ty=85

www.google.com/imgres?q=serissa+bonsai&h...r:16,s:0&tx=46&ty=68

www.google.com/imgres?q=serissa+bonsai&h...s:0&biw=1344&bih=579
by Zulu

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #1472
LOL! Thanks to "Google Images - Serissa Bonsai" I found the exact images you did. I was looking at the less mature trees that would be similar to yours. Is this the link you found? Hope it works for you.

www.google.ca/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&sour...1l1903l0.2.2.2.1l7l0

I found this very late last night. I also checked out "Serissa Plants" (some of which were bonsai)and found that there are several varieties of Serrisa, some with short, round leaves and others with the long, narrow, pointed leaves like your tree.

Is there a Bonsai Club, other bonsai enthusiasts or a reputable nursery near where you live? These resources are very helpful in identifying trees/plants. Then you can be sure of your tree's identity. Joining a Bonsai Club was the best thing I ever did...and there are so many *perks* available over and above the advice of the pros...like seedlings, cuttings, pre-bonsai trees, tools for sale at a reduced cost, etc. I luv it!

The Serrisa is such a beautiful plant with it's star-like, white flowers...and, they're fragrant! Now I want one! :lol:
by Leslie

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #1473
Hi again Zulu,

If you would like, please pop over to the "Bonsai Cafe" section of the forum, find the "Introduce Yourself" topic and say "Hi" to the gang, tell us where you're from, how long you've been doing bonsai and a little about yourself. This is also where one can post "off topic" stuff! So glad to have you on board! :cheer:
by Leslie

• Zulu
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #1475

Leslie wrote: Hi again Zulu,

If you would like, please pop over to the "Bonsai Cafe" section of the forum, find the "Introduce Yourself" topic and say "Hi" to the gang, tell us where you're from, how long you've been doing bonsai and a little about yourself. This is also where one can post "off topic" stuff! So glad to have you on board! :cheer:

Oh thanks, I didn't know about the cafe!
I live close to Kimura Bonsai Nursery and will be taking classes there starting in October; sure to meet some green thumbs and maybe find a club through them.
www.kimurabonsainursery.com/
by Zulu