Bonsai forum

Bonsai Identification

• Gaorchard
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Bonsai Identification was created by Gaorchard

Posted 4 years 1 day ago #58349
Hi, I’ve acquired a new bonsai.

The person who gave it to me had no idea what it is and I’m also not sure myself. I’m hoping if someone could be kind enough to give me a second opinion.
(See attached pictures).

It looks like it could be a jasmine of some kind but then also after some searching it does look a bit like a Chinese pepper tree.

Someone has obviously spent a considerable amount of time work on this tree so I want to ensure it’s well looked after.

Any info would be great.

Thanks
by Gaorchard

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Bonsai Identification

Posted 4 years 1 day ago #58363
Hi and welcome.

You can easily find the ID here: www.bonsaiempire.com/tree-species/bonsai-identification
by leatherback

• Gaorchard
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by Gaorchard on topic Bonsai Identification

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #58480
Thanks for this. I had previously checked the identification site but had somehow managed to over look it.

I’m 99% sure it’s a Chinese Pepper Tree.

After reading about it, I’ve found out it’s a subtropical variety that likes quite a bit of light. It’s currently situated in a very sheltered courtyard garden. Where it was previously located it’s definitely been outside for a month or so, during the winter it was kept in a poly tunnel. My concern at the moment is the little levels in the courtyard are quite low. The walls surrounding it are at least 15ft high. It does receive natural light from above but obviously this is reduced due to the height of the walls. It doesn’t receive any direct sunlight.

It’s got quite a few yellow leaves at the moment so I’m going to give it a feed to see if that helps.

We were also given a Golden Larch forest group, which I also think would prefer a bit more light.

Can you recommendations about the light levels? I was wondering if it would be worth getting a grow light to provide them with a bit more light? I’ll certainly bring the pepper inside over winter.

Any advice would be really appreciated. These aren’t my first Bonsai’s but I’m still very much a novice.

Thanks

Grant
by Gaorchard