Bonsai forum

Keeping Outdoor Bonsai Inside?

• CurriMintz
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Keeping Outdoor Bonsai Inside? was created by CurriMintz

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #58554
Hello everyone!

I’m not a new bonsai owner, but I’ve recently purchased two new bonsai after some of my others didn’t survive the winter.

I live in England, where it’s constantly cold, cloudy, windy and raining. My new bonsai are a Japanese Holly and a Plum Pine. They are outdoor bonsai but I’m worried that they wouldn’t survive outside given the uncertain weather conditions.

How would I go about keeping these bonsai inside? I’ve had them inside for a few days but the new leaves are drooping and turning brown. I’ve also noticed that many of the leaves on the pine and a few on the holly are split in half? It almost looks like they’ve been cut but this is happening naturally by the tree. What is causing this and how do I avoid it? (Photos attached)

If it’s possible to keep these little trees happy while being inside, I’d be glad to know any helpful tips!
I don’t have the money nor the space to start buying lots of equipment like greenhouses or sun lamps so anything cost-free would be appreciated!

Thank you 〜♪
by CurriMintz

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic Keeping Outdoor Bonsai Inside?

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #58558
Looking back over the forum you will see this question asked over and over. The answer is always the same.

Trees belong outside and they expect outside weather. You and I are warm blooded mammals and we have gotten very accustomed to central heat, low humidity, no rain falling on our heads, little air circulation, no bugs, etc. Trees are not warm blooded and they really do fine in weather we don't like. If you keep tropical fish you don't expect them to adjust to your indoor climate; you expect them to live in water.

Put the outside. Find some bonsai people in the neighborhood and see what they do in the winter, but you have 6-7 months before that is an issue.
by Ivan Mann
The following user(s) said Thank You: persimmon

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Keeping Outdoor Bonsai Inside?

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #58563

CurriMintz wrote: I’ve also noticed that many of the leaves on the pine and a few on the holly are split in half? It almost looks like they’ve been cut but this is happening naturally by the tree. What is causing this and how do I avoid it? (Photos attached)

How sure are you that is a pine? I would have put my money on it being a yew.

Those leaves are not like this from being indoors. It looks like someone did a poor job thinning out the crown. If you are sure it was not there before you have a beetle easting the leaves. But I am putting my money on the seller doing a maintenance job.
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: CurriMintz

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1361

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Keeping Outdoor Bonsai Inside?

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #58566
We have different ideas of what is cold. Most of England have a very mild winters. Milder than Most of Japan where this hobby have develloped.

You say cold, Cloudy Windy and rainy. Where i live it is impossible to have rain when it is cold. Then it is Called snow. Up north from here they Think that it dont snow when it is cold as it seldoms snow below -20. You see, different perspektives.
by Tropfrog

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Keeping Outdoor Bonsai Inside?

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #58567
We do not have cold winters in England. We had very few frosts this winter, and nothing that would damage the species you have. The worst thing would be to have these inside a house in the winter. It does not work. The only way to keep trees protected if it needed is in a greenhouse. It is the rain that is the main problem not cold. I keep some of my trees under an open cover in winter to keep the rain off not protect from frost. You will lose these trees if you keep them inside.
by m5eaygeoff
The following user(s) said Thank You: CurriMintz, IWK