Bonsai forum

Winter Light Requirements

• rickbon
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Winter Light Requirements was created by rickbon

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #58557
Hello,
First time ever on a blog so forgive me if I commit any errors.
I live in southeast Pennsylvania and our winters can get pretty cold. I have read about storing my bonsai either in a garage or in my basement over the winter. I've been online and have read numerous articles on care during the winter months but nothing has mentioned the requirements for lights. My basement will work well, but how much light should be provided?
Thanks,
Rickbon
by rickbon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Winter Light Requirements

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #58562
Hi and welcome.

I think the first thing to get clear is what pretty cold is. Not that I think it does not get cold, but some people worry about the first frost..

Trees in general do not need (much) light when properly dormant. For deciduous trees that might be after leaf drop and kept in the 0-5 degreeC range. For evergreens I am always surpised that at 5c I see growing tips in warm winters so those I would try to keep at freezing point myself (That being said: They handle pretty cold winter weather, so .. how cold does it get for you?)
by leatherback

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 605

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic Winter Light Requirements

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #58584
Bill Valvanis in Rochester, New York, USA, keeps his trees in a garage in the winter with the temperature set to 27F, about -3C. They move in in October and move out in April or so.
People living in England would consider one set of temperatures cold or hot, while people living in Miama, FL, would have a different range. And people in Finland or Minnesota would have a different range. The son living in Hong Kong thought 68F/20C was cold and had on a coat, hat, sweater, and muffler. The son living in Rochester, NY, thought it was tshirt weather. Trees aren't warm blooded so they have a different tolerance for weather.
by Ivan Mann

• rickbon
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by rickbon on topic Winter Light Requirements

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #58617
In southeast Pennsylvania temps in winter can drop below freezing and stay there for a number of weeks if not longer. Snowfall can be from nothing, like last year, to 4 to 5 feet.
I plan to store my trees in my basement, but nothing I've read suggests any light requirements
Thanks for your imput.
by rickbon

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Winter Light Requirements

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #58626
If you make sure your basement stays near frezzing or below freezin that will be fine formost.

If you grow local species and provide a bit of wind and sun protection, I would however keep them outside. My plants regularly see drops into the 10-20F range
by leatherback