Bonsai forum

Prunus Serrulata Seedling leaves turning yellowish / brownish

• wojt333
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 4

Prunus Serrulata Seedling leaves turning yellowish / brownish was created by wojt333

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #58864
Hi all,

One of my Prunus Serrulata seeds germinated on the 11th of April, in organic soil.
After it got its first real leaves, I have transplanted it to a larger pot with inorganic soil.
I water it almost daily (due to a hot/dry period where i am currently living).
It is located outside and gets plenty of sunshine.
Normally I leave it in the sun from sunrise until about 12:00 / 13:00, and then move it back in to the shade. However, there have been some days a week where I left it in the sun for longer. So almost until evening. (As I found on multiple sources that prunus serrulata requires a lot of sun light)
I have fertilized it only once, about a week ago, with about a 1/5th - 1/4th of the prescribed amount of liquid inorganic fertilizer, diluted in water.
Already before I fertilized, the new leaves started to look a bit yellowish / brownish. (thats why i tried a minimum amount of fertilizer)

My question is, do you guys think the leaves are turning yellowish because too much sunlight or because of a lack of nutrients? (see picture attached)
This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

As you can see, the leave looks a bit pale, with the edge turning brownish.

If you guys want I can add some more pictures later.

kind regards,

wojt33
Last Edit:3 years 11 months ago by wojt333

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by wojt333.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 856

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Prunus Serrulata Seedling leaves turning yellowish / brownish

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #58869
The leaves are not pale. I would not keep moving it about, there is no need as long as it has water.
by m5eaygeoff
The following user(s) said Thank You: wojt333

• wojt333
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 4

Replied by wojt333 on topic Prunus Serrulata Seedling leaves turning yellowish / brownish

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #58879
In what way is moving the plant harmful? By doing so it has more hours of direct sunlight, so i assumed that this would be better for any plant. Since more light means more energy.
by wojt333

• crent89
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 230

Replied by crent89 on topic Prunus Serrulata Seedling leaves turning yellowish / brownish

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #58881

wojt333 wrote: In what way is moving the plant harmful? By doing so it has more hours of direct sunlight, so i assumed that this would be better for any plant. Since more light means more energy.

so then place the seedling in a spot that receives the amount of light you are allowing it to get each day without having to move it around. trees just simply dont like to be moved around they need to adjust to a spot that they are placed. constant moving means constant adjustment means unhappy tree. some trees are a bit more picky than others when moved. some trees even dont like to simply be rotated. so geoff is correct you should refrain from moving the tree around as much as you can unless it need to be moved for winter protection but that would only be once or twice a year.
by crent89
The following user(s) said Thank You: wojt333