Bonsai forum

Maple leaves Curling and and turning brown

• R_rhind
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Maple leaves Curling and and turning brown was created by R_rhind

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #58893
Hi there,
I have a Maple bonsai that in the last couple of days I have noticed some of the leaves beginning to turn brown and curl up. The problem is progressing at a slow but steady rate. I live in Scotland and this year has been an unnaturally hot spring in terms of weather for this country, I've been watering it with plenty of water trying to combat the heat as the top soil begins to dry out. I can't figure out what the problem is, it is getting plenty of sun through the day and I should think enough water each day. I could really do with some help as I do really quite like this tree, I have attached a picture in the hope that someone may be able to help. I dug this tree up this year from the wild and potted it, however did not require to prune any roots as it's root system wasn't the fullest and so potted it without damaging the roots. Any help would be much appreciated, also if any other photos are required please let me know and I'll get on it right away. Thanks
This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit:3 years 11 months ago by R_rhind

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by R_rhind.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Maple leaves Curling and and turning brown

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #58899
Looks like dry winds in combination with roots that are not established. Contrary to what you would expect, keeping the substrate too wet can reduce root effectiveness.DO not let the pot dry out, but avoid overwatering too!
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: R_rhind

• R_rhind
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by R_rhind on topic Maple leaves Curling and and turning brown

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #58903
Thanks very much. I'll make sure to keep an eye on the soil over the next few days and only water when really necessary. thanks for the quick reply.
by R_rhind

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Maple leaves Curling and and turning brown

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #58919
That variety is prone to wind damage, if you can place it so it is not in the prevailing wind that might help, but keep it from drying out.
by m5eaygeoff

• R_rhind
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by R_rhind on topic Maple leaves Curling and and turning brown

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #58970
I've now reduced the amount I was watering the tree and moved it to a more shaded spot, it's getting a few less hours of sun a day now and out the way of the wind but the issue is still progressing, its at a slow rate but each day a couple more leaves on the tree have began to take on the same process and wither. there is another tree of the same species just next to where I dug mine up. This tree is showing signs of the same problem but not as intensely, in fact I'm not sure the issue has worsened on the remaining tree since I dug mine up. I am now wondering if this could be a potting problem and that maybe the roots are struggling for that reason. I used a soil mix of akadama, pine bark and pumice to pot it in with around 1/2 to 1 inch of lava rock at the base, I see though that potting with soil from the location I dug it up from is advised. Would this make a difference and if so would re-potting so soon after being dug up do a lot of harm?
by R_rhind

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Maple leaves Curling and and turning brown

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #58971
Give it a chance, things don't change overnight.
by m5eaygeoff